Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't schedule a refresh for Web data matching a function with a list of parameters

Hello,

Recently started using Power BI and while getting into some more advanced M stuff I'm failing to schedule a refresh from the cloud with the error message:

You cannot schedule refresh for this dataset because it gets data from sources that currently don't support refresh. Learn Moreabout data sources that currently support refresh.

What I did was:

1) Get a table from a web source using Power BI designer (an html page)

2) Tidied up the columns

3) Turn a part of the url into a parameter thus creating a function to get the data I need.

4) Create a blank query that then generates a list of those url parts (hardcoded)

5) Turned the list into a table

6) Added a custom column that retrieved data for the parameter using the function.

7) Expanded all the necessary columns.

😎 Created a report using the designer (the refresh works there)

9) Uploaded via Get Data and the schedule fails.

What could be the problem? Does it not understand that I'm essentially using a web source?

Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
konstantinos
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Refresh are not supported for queries using functions..You need to change the query structure so the url don't have a parameter..

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Refreshing-queries-with-functions-doens-...

Konstantinos Ioannou

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
markive
Advocate II
Advocate II
konstantinos
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Refresh are not supported for queries using functions..You need to change the query structure so the url don't have a parameter..

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Refreshing-queries-with-functions-doens-...

Konstantinos Ioannou
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok, understood.

but is there any workaround?

i have a function inside Json.Document(Web.Contents(function_here)))...

what other way can I use to get online updates?

is this limitiation to protect the PBI servers from a possible DDoS bad-function?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Any ideas if Microsoft have that on the roadmap or is there a reason for not allowing functions?

Any update if this will be supported? It seems like basic functionality to allow Web data sources to be refreshed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors