Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gnoom
Frequent Visitor

Can't refresh a Data Set from Excel file

Hello,

I have uploaded an .xls file (with Power Pivot data models and Power Query connections to csv and xls files) to OneDrive and from there to Power BI, but I am not able to refresh the data set. When I click on "schedule refresh" I get the error message below - could you please explain what I am doing wrong?

You cannot schedule refresh for this dataset because it does not contain data model connections. You cannot schedule refresh on worksheet connections or linked tables. To schedule refresh the data must be loaded into the data model.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

In your Excel file, are the Power Queries writing to the data model, just back to an Excel table or both?

From your error message, It looks like you are using PQ to only write back to Excel.  If you click on the "Load To" option on your Power Query, can you also "Add it to Data Model"? 

Then re-save the file, and see if you can refresh it from PowerBI.com

View solution in original post

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

You will be able to refresh it but those who don't have Pro account will lose ability to see it the minute you set up scheduled refresh

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors