Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

travismorse
Frequent Visitor

Can't get personal gateway to get past my proxy

I've installed the Power BI Personal Gateway (version 1.5.5675.2) onto my Windows 7 machine but cannot successfully sign in to Power BI. The error I receive is:

Failed to login to Power BI
The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.

Note that our proxy is on port 8080 instead of the default port 80. I've tried updating all the .config files to add a proxy setting and have then logged out of Windows and back in but it doesn't seem to help.

<system.net>
  <defaultProxy>
    <proxy proxyaddress="http://myproxy.company.com:8080" bypassonlocal="true"/>
  </defaultProxy>
</system.net>

I've added this to the following files (I know... overkill but I'm trying everything):

"C:\Users\myuserid\AppData\Local\Power BI Personal Gateway\1.0\Shared\diahost.exe.config"

"C:\Users\myuserid\AppData\Local\Power BI Personal Gateway\1.0\Shared\dmgcmd.exe.config"

"C:\Users\myuserid\AppData\Local\Power BI Personal Gateway\1.0\Gateway\diawp.exe.config"

"C:\Users\myuserid\AppData\Local\Power BI Personal Gateway\1.0\Shared\diacmd.exe.config"

"C:\Users\myuserid\AppData\Local\Power BI Personal Gateway\1.0\Configurator\PowerBIGatewayAgentCmdLine.exe.config"

"C:\Users\myuserid\AppData\Local\Power BI Personal Gateway\1.0\Configurator\GWConfig.exe.config"

"C:\Users\myuserid\AppData\Local\Power BI Personal Gateway\1.0\Shared\ConfigManager.exe.config"

Any ideas on how to configure to use my proxy properly?

Note that I'm admin but don't have ability to run as a service and therefore the above install is running as a program and not a service (thank you for fixing the install problem!)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GiriNair
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Could you try adding useDefaultCredentials="true" attribute in the defaultproxy node in the configuration that you added?

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
odraode
Frequent Visitor

Hi all.

We have the same problem.

Can you please tell me if there is a workaround to fix the problem?

Thanks a lot!!

GiriNair
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Could you try adding useDefaultCredentials="true" attribute in the defaultproxy node in the configuration that you added?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have added those xml nodes to my config files but am still getting the same error:

error.png

I have put this line into all files as specified in the original post... (*and rebooted my PC)

<system.net>
<defaultProxy useDefaultCredentials="true">
<proxy proxyaddress="10.x.xx.xx:80" bypassonlocal="true"/>
</defaultProxy>
</system.net>

Any ideas?

@Anonymous From my understanding this may deal more with making sure your outbound port is open as opposed to messing with configs.

Outbound ports that are tried are 5672, 9350-9354 and 443. All code paths fallback to 443, so if you only want a single port open - shoot for that. 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer, thanks for the response. 

I have set the Personal Gateway up on my local machine for testing the application. When you speak of port opening do you mean at the organizations' ISA (gateway) server level or at the local machine level (on which I am testing)?

I have turned off my local Windows Firewall completely for purposes of testing but still get the error.

Thanks again.

@Anonymous I am by no means a network guy, so others can chime in here as well. My comment was based on the previous posters lengthy discription of how he troubleshot his issue by modifying config files. From my understanding, the last portion pertaining to the ports was a known issue and would be the first place I'd check prior to messing with configs.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer,

Yes I had modified the config files as per the suggestions in the previous post but with no luck.

Oh well, thanks for your help.

Onto business objects.....

G

I've reinstalled everything so that I could go back to the original config files. I made some progress. I updated just a single file since that is the program running:

c:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Local\Power BI Personal Gateway\1.0\Configurator\GWConfig.exe.config

and added the following after the </runtime>

<system.net>
  <defaultProxy useDefaultCredentials="true">
    <proxy proxyaddress="http://mycompany.com:8080" bypassonlocal="true" />
  </defaultProxy>
</system.net>

I can now log in however the new error is "Register gateway failed.". I then tried editing the config for other program in Task Manager (diahost.exe) and updated the existing defaultProxy to match above but get the same error.

c:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Local\Power BI Personal Gateway\1.0\Shared\diahost.exe.config

In looking at the Event Log for the Data Management Gateway I see the following error:

Failed to execute the command ' -SetupGatewayForAppMode c0bedbf9-6502-41a6-87a8-ec2a5065c4b7@22f32c9b-08b3-422d-840b-79d5398c5685@3e644ec7-1f66-4dd8-a954-fc7644b16621@eu2#c0KHG3OtCQSVXIRK6nzP4Y6lcDxv2kPm+rm7FOcPVgI='. Error message: GenerateAuthHeaderValue failed.

sts_token_request_failed: Token request to security token service failed. Check InnerException for more details
Failed to read error message. See InnerException for the original exception
The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.

I then finally noticed that the diacmd.exe was sneaking in there during the gateway registration process so I also added the proxy to:

c:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Local\Power BI Personal Gateway\1.0\Shared\diacmd.exe.config

Success! I was able to register my gateway. Now on to see if it actually works.

To summarize I think the three files that are needing a proxy are:

c:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Local\Power BI Personal Gateway\1.0\Configurator\GWConfig.exe.config

c:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Local\Power BI Personal Gateway\1.0\Shared\diahost.exe.config

c:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Local\Power BI Personal Gateway\1.0\Shared\diacmd.exe.config

Caveat:

During my testing I also added an outbound Windows Firewall rule for TCP remote ports 80, 440, 9305-9354. I did this based upon a Microsoft person that had just attended an internal conference and saw the following slide. I don't know if this was part of the solution or not. The inbound rule mentioned was added by the install process (actually two, 8050 and 8051).

Firewall Settings

No need to change the inbound policy for corporate firewall

Allow outbound rule for TCP ports: 80, 440, and from 9305 to 9354 for corporate and Windows firewall

Add Azure IP addresses to the whitelist per Microsoft Download Center (https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/azure/dn175718.aspx)

Allow inbound rule for TCP port 8050 for Windows firewall for Credential Manager (optional)

msiexec /q /i DataManagementGateway.msi NOFIREWALL=1

Thank you for the detailed report.

@GiriNair could you please specify what file needs to be modified to add that configuration entry?

Andre, I am sorry, the response was to the earlier Post where the author was experimenting with the proxy configuration -- as you can see the configuration changes where described in that posting.

I will ping you directly to understand your proxy configuration.

well, the original poster had to modify these files:

"C:\Users\myuserid\AppData\Local\Power BI Personal Gateway\1.0\Shared\diahost.exe.config"

"C:\Users\myuserid\AppData\Local\Power BI Personal Gateway\1.0\Shared\dmgcmd.exe.config"

"C:\Users\myuserid\AppData\Local\Power BI Personal Gateway\1.0\Gateway\diawp.exe.config"

"C:\Users\myuserid\AppData\Local\Power BI Personal Gateway\1.0\Shared\diacmd.exe.config"

"C:\Users\myuserid\AppData\Local\Power BI Personal Gateway\1.0\Configurator\PowerBIGatewayAgentCmdLin​e.exe.config"

"C:\Users\myuserid\AppData\Local\Power BI Personal Gateway\1.0\Configurator\GWConfig.exe.config"

"C:\Users\myuserid\AppData\Local\Power BI Personal Gateway\1.0\Shared\ConfigManager.exe.config"

I would just like to know which one of these is THE config file or does one need to modify all of them

SM
Regular Visitor

Hi,

We have managed to download the gateway but couldn't get to pass the proxy "The remote server returned an error:(407) Proxy Authentication Required".... Please advise....

Thanks for your help in advance....

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors