Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MWilson929
Frequent Visitor

Can't connect to Azure Database

Hi All,

I'm trying to connect to an Azure SQL database. I've managed to connect SSMS to the database without too much trouble, but power BI gives me the message;

We encountered an error while trying to connect

Details " "

I've looked at several other posts and documentation, but it can't see anything amiss;

1. Server name is as listed on Azure portal

2. Server is setup to accept Azure services. The firewall is configured to accept the outgoing internet IP

I'm at a loss. Is there anything I've missed?

Many Thanks,

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Solved! I was being a bit dozy and trying to use AD rather than the Server admin account.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@MWilson929 what is the error you're getting. is it saying cannot open server 'yourservername' ? In Azure Portal have added your IP address ? You need to go to Azure Portal, your sql server, firewall  settings pane and enter your IP address and save.

Hi,

Error message is as below;

We encountered an error while trying to connect

Details " "

And yes I have configured the firewall. I've sent a "frown" to power BI. Should I be using a particular User and password?

As mentioned, SSMS and Visual Studio both connect to the database just fine, but via Active directory authentication.

Thanks,

Mark

Solved! I was being a bit dozy and trying to use AD rather than the Server admin account.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors