Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can not lookup in self-table with M

Hello everyone,

I need to do a self-table look up with the following features:

Say it I have three columns like this (they are simplified, real data are more complex):

COLUMN1      COLUMN2     COLUMN3

A1                   a1                  null

A2                   a2                  null

B1                   b1                  A1

B2                   b2                  A1

B3                   b3                  A2

C1                   c1                  B3

C2                   c2                  B1

C3                   c3                  B1

C4                   c4                  B4

...and so on

I need to get a COLUMN4 which takes COLUMN3 values, seach for them in COLUMN1 and get COLUMN2 as the output. With DAX that is as simple as LOOKUPVALUE(COLUMN2,COLUMN1,COLUMN3), but I can not figure it out how to do it with M. The output should look like:

COLUMN1      COLUMN2     COLUMN3      COLUMN4

A1                   a1                  null                  null

A2                   a2                  null                  null

B1                   b1                  A1                    a1

B2                   b2                  A1                    a1 

B3                   b3                  A2                    a2

C1                   c1                  B3                    b3

C2                   c2                  B1                    b1

C3                   c3                  B1                    b1

C4                   c4                  B4                    b4

...and so on

It is highly important to do it in the same table, trying to avoid creating a new one from a "merge" or something like that, since I have to make further transformations.

Thank you very much for your help.

-J

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("XYzBDcAgDAN3yZtPQxdoGAPxKFmMWZiMEsuqxCsnn+Na5bnmkCRzvABp6QuVof6hsdkB8RmC7a6HyBSAmN2icMoBUQzBKQcYpwqnPB/ipgDYPq0t", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t, Column3 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}}),

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Column4", each try if [Column3] = "" then null else List.Range(#"Changed Type"[Column2], List.PositionOf(#"Changed Type"[Column1], [Column3]), 1){0} otherwise "Not found", type text)
in
    #"Added Custom"

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

View solution in original post

AlB
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

I do not get any errors. You're probably doing something differently. See it all at work in the attached file.

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AlB
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

I do not get any errors. You're probably doing something differently. See it all at work in the attached file.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry @AlB , I was replying to @watkinnc  in my last message. I adapted your solution and it worked! It will take me a few to understand it 100% but it could get me out of trouble. Thank you!

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("XYzBDcAgDAN3yZtPQxdoGAPxKFmMWZiMEsuqxCsnn+Na5bnmkCRzvABp6QuVof6hsdkB8RmC7a6HyBSAmN2icMoBUQzBKQcYpwqnPB/ipgDYPq0t", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t, Column3 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}}),

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Column4", each try if [Column3] = "" then null else List.Range(#"Changed Type"[Column2], List.PositionOf(#"Changed Type"[Column1], [Column3]), 1){0} otherwise "Not found", type text)
in
    #"Added Custom"

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Table.AddColumn(NameOfPriorStep, "NewColumnName", each if List.Contains([Column3], [Column1]) then [Column1] else null)

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

this solution is quite similar to:

https://eriksvensen.wordpress.com/2019/02/28/powerquery-replicate-doing-an-excel-vlookup-in-m/

but in both cases, the editor gives me the next output Error:

Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value "X" to type List.

Value = "X"

Type = [Type]

where "X" is each row value.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors