Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rwells7722

Can connect to ODBC data with Excel but not with Power BI

I'm a new user.

I have a database with many tables. The database is created and updated with Clarion Topspped. I can easily read and create reports in Excel using an ODBC driver that has been installed on my Windows machine. I can also get data using Access. But the same workbook can't find the tables with Power Pivot, even though it says that the connection was successful, and Power BI Desktop won't connect at all (perhaps because it is trying to write to the database). It is very frustrating to be able to connect easily with Excel and Access and to be completely stymied by Power Pivot and Power BI Desktop. Surely this is not a new phenomenon, but I"m not seeing others with the same question, so maybe I'm just asking wrong.

4 REPLIES 4
bernievoss
Regular Visitor

Hi @rwells7722 ,

I had this same problem - I realized I had the 64-bit version of Power BI installed on my machine but my Pervasive database was only 32-bit so that's why the databases weren't appearing in the ODBC list. I uninstalled the 64-bit version of Power BI and installed the 32-bit version then I could access the databases. I hope this helps another person looking around for why this happened.

Cheers,

Bernie

UPDATE: You should install a 64 bit driver for the database and connect there. For PSQL Control Center go to Tools > ODBC Data Source Administrator (64-bit) > System DSN tab > Add...

farlesh1000
Regular Visitor

Was this ever answered?  The response is irrelvant.  The ODBC driver that works with Excel (we have OpenEdge 11.3 ODBC Driver) does not load table schema.  Just simply using the query editor sounds like all kinds of fun except table joins aren't working too well in the query editor and joins with filters aren't working well either.  Power BI Get Data ETL is not loading table schema like it's supposed to.  The question is a year old, how can this not be answered yet?

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@rwells7722,

Do you create dsn for the Clarion Topspped data source with the help of ODBC driver ? If you have created the dsn, you can use ODBC connector in Power BI Desktop to connect to it and import data from required tables.

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I did set the DSN, but ODBC still can't work with PowerBI, but work with Excel. 

zhangtj_0-1639492084232.png

zhangtj_1-1639492102588.png

Thanks,

TJ 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors