Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alex
Helper I
Helper I

Can PowerQuery accept a csv file from a web service (specifically Tableau)?

Hello,

We have a Tableau server which can provide data via a CSV file.

(If you are in a browser, you goto http://my.tableau.server.com/site/MyReport.CSV and then the browser downloads a CSV file to your Downloads folder Smiley Happy    The Tableau server uses the windows credentials for authentication)

I'd love to import this data via PowerQuery.  Is this possible and can you point me to how to start?

When I do this in power query:

let
    Source = Table.FromColumns({Lines.FromBinary(Web.Contents("https://my.tableau.server.com/#/site/MyReport.csv"))})
in
    Source

I get this:

<!DOCTYPE html><html xmlns:ng="" xmlns:tb=""><head ng-csp><meta charset="UTF-8"><meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge"><meta name="viewport" content="width=1024, maximum-scale=2"><meta name="format-detection" content="telephone=no"><meta name="vizportal-config" data-buildId="819vpf68wrqrryd7mv8zd7vi" data-staticAssetsUrlPrefix=""><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="vizportal.css?819vpf68wrqrryd7mv8zd7vi"><script src="/javascripts/api/tableau-2.2.1.min.js?819vpf68wrqrryd7mv8zd7vi"></script><script src="vizportalMinLibs.js?819vpf68wrqrryd7mv8zd7vi"></script><script src="vizportal.min.js?819vpf68wrqrryd7mv8zd7vi"></script></head><body class="tb-body"><div ng-app="VizPortalRun" id="ng-app" tb-window-resize class="tb-app"><div ui-view="" class="tb-app-inner"></div><tb:react-toaster></tb:react-toaster><script type="text/ng-template" id="inline_stackedElement.html"><div tb-window-resize tb-left="left" tb-top="top" tb-right="right" tb-bottom="bottom" tb-visible="visible" class="tb-absolute"></div></script><tb:stacked-elements></tb:stacked-elements></div></body></html>

Many Thanks,

Alex

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Try using a CSV data source and put in the web address.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I get this...which is the same DOCTYPE HTML page...it's not actually accepting the CSV....

screenshot-csv-tableau-powerbi.png

(whoops:  reuploaded screenshot...)

@alex ,

Does Tableau provide Rest API  to access the CSV? You are able to connect to REST API in the web connector of Power BI Desktop.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

Do you mean New Source ->  Web?

No, I get the same result.... (the Same <!DOCTYPE html> page)

-Alex

@alex ,

Please contact tableau support to check if it provides rest api and what authentication method is used to access the rest api.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors