Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Craig
Helper I
Helper I

Can Power BI refresh a Power Query result

Hello

In Excel Online one can not refresh a PowerQuery table of data.   My client wants a PowerQuery table of data but to be able to refresh the table using a browser or HTML web page.

I know Power BI has Power Query built in.    Can I use Power BI to take a table of Excel data, modify the table with Power Query commands, then show the outputi in PowerBI not as a chart but as a loaded query table (columns of data) and give the user the ability to refresh it on a web page?

thank you very much!

Craig

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I agree. While Power Query allows for extensive transforms, it does so exclusively to feed Power BI. It is not a fully featured ETL/ELT tool.

View solution in original post

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I would hope that they will announce the timeline for that Excel Online refresh during next month's Business Application summit. That event is on May 4th, I believe.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I would hope that they will announce the timeline for that Excel Online refresh during next month's Business Application summit. That event is on May 4th, I believe.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I agree. While Power Query allows for extensive transforms, it does so exclusively to feed Power BI. It is not a fully featured ETL/ELT tool.

thanks very much

i assume i can not refresh Excel online...the other post mentioned Sharepoint On premises might work  but I dont have that

do you know when the new feature to make Excel online refresh will come out?

thanks

v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Craig ,

I guess you can if your excel file is stored on-premise.Check the similar thread below:

https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/194429/unable-to-refresh-data-in-excel-online-connect...

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

thanks very much.  

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The use case is not very clear. Are you referring to the newly announced "Analyze in Excel Online"  feature that will come out "soon" ?

Yes, I have a neat Excel file using PowerQuery that refreshes just the way I want it.  So when I click a drop down item, I just run Data Refresh All to the data below which is based upon what I pick in a drop down.    here is a onedrive link to the file in case you want to see it: dynamic power query filter 

But a top expert in Excel said you can not refresh using Excel online as my client needs to have it done in online using a webpage html format.

so I thought maybe do the Power Query work in Power BI which has Power Query built in and somehow get it to refresh when I click the drop down.   But I send Power BI is all about visualizations not so much to refresh and show updated data from a list.

Appreciate any of your thoughts if it can be done with PowerBI 

thank you very much

Craig

However, my client needs to see it run online or via an HTML web page.   But Excel online can not refresh.  

Assuming this feature "Analyze in Excel Online" will not come out anytime this spring, I need to show my client how to refresh the Excel data but do it online or via a web page.

meant to say in my post above....

"But I sense Power BI is all about visualizations and not so much about how to refresh and show the updated data."

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors