Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LDMARTZ
Regular Visitor

Can I create columns with the counts of instances of an ID in one table based on another table?

I have the two following tables (each has hundreds of thousands of observations):

Table 1 (example) 

Trans_ID   Cust_ID  Date_of_trans  Reject_Flag

1                    10              6/28                 0

2                    11              6/27                 1

3                    13              6/26                 0  

4                    10              6/26                 1

Table 2 (example)

Cust_ID     Date_of_first_rejection

11                           6/27

10                           6/26

15                           6/13

The two tables are connected via the customer ID. In table one the Trans_ID is the unique identifier and in Table 2 the cust_ID is the unique identifier. There are many instances of the same customer in table one since they can have many transactions on many different dates. What I need to do is to create two new columns in table 2, one which counts the number of transactions (Trans_ID) that a customer had before the date of their first rejection and another column that does the same but for transactions after the date of their first hold. 

I have been trying to use calculate and count functions but cant get the right numbers. Is this even possible to do in power bi? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @LDMARTZ 

In Sheet1 (Table1), create new columns

first_date = RELATED(Sheet2[Date_of_first_rejection])

after/before = IF([Date_of_trans ]>[first_date],"after","before")

Column_before1 = CALCULATE(COUNT(Sheet1[Trans_ID ]),FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[Cust_ID ]),Sheet1[after/before]="before"))

count_after = CALCULATE(COUNT(Sheet1[Trans_ID ]),FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[Cust_ID ]),Sheet1[after/before]="after"))

In Sheet2(Table2), create new column

Column = LOOKUPVALUE(Sheet1[Column_before1],Sheet1[Cust_ID ],Sheet2[Cust_ID])

count_after_1 = LOOKUPVALUE(Sheet1[count_after],Sheet1[Cust_ID ],Sheet2[Cust_ID])

1.png

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @LDMARTZ 

In Sheet1 (Table1), create new columns

first_date = RELATED(Sheet2[Date_of_first_rejection])

after/before = IF([Date_of_trans ]>[first_date],"after","before")

Column_before1 = CALCULATE(COUNT(Sheet1[Trans_ID ]),FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[Cust_ID ]),Sheet1[after/before]="before"))

count_after = CALCULATE(COUNT(Sheet1[Trans_ID ]),FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[Cust_ID ]),Sheet1[after/before]="after"))

In Sheet2(Table2), create new column

Column = LOOKUPVALUE(Sheet1[Column_before1],Sheet1[Cust_ID ],Sheet2[Cust_ID])

count_after_1 = LOOKUPVALUE(Sheet1[count_after],Sheet1[Cust_ID ],Sheet2[Cust_ID])

1.png

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-juanli-msft 

Thanks for the previous help. I have come across another related question: 

How would I get the same two counts (counts before date of first hold and date after first hold) but for only 30 days before and 30 days after the first hold? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors