Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AllanRocha
Regular Visitor

Can I combine 2 different data sources in the same Power BI dashboard?

I would like to combine 2 different data sources in the same Power BI dashboard. Can I do that?
I have a Microsoft Project Online OData feed and and excel file containing SAP data. Can Power BI show both data in the same data dashboard?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes Power BI can combine both Data, Here how i have done it to show you in Power BI Designer 

I have take one ODATA Feed 

ODATA Feed Example

Now i have take second source as excel 

ExcelAsDataSource.png

Now you can use merge query to relate them together as shown Use of Merge Queries

Now you are ready for Dashboard combining data from Both Source.

Data From both Source.png

Hope this helps !

Vishal 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
powerbient
Frequent Visitor

@Anonymous @ashishrj @andre

Imagine i have a huge dataset developed in Power BI Dataset(~400MB) and published it to Power BI Service. Later i realized that i need to add an extra Dataset(~5MB) to get my Report work but i dont want to add it by coming back to Power BI Desktop and publishing it which would take longer time. so i what i would want is add a new Dataset(~5MB) in Power BI Desktop and publish it and later merge it in Power BI with the huge Dataset(~400MB) which would take considerable less time. Is that possible?

Best way to achieve that would be to allow Power BI Desktop to connect to models that have been deployed to powerbi.com the same way (or in a similar way) Excel connects to them using Analyze in Excel driver.

Does this feature make sense? Absolutely... What's the timing on this?  We don't know....

KristinaBakic
Frequent Visitor

You can add reports from various sources to one dashboard. Once the dashboard is created, have the said dashboard selected and choose "Get Data" and add the report!

As far as I know, you have to add the report from your source (OneDrive etc), not straight from the PowerBI service - so if you want to use a report in several dashboards, you have to upload them separately to each one. I hope that adding from once uploaded reports will be available at some point.

KristinaBakic, you should not have to keep re-uploading your reports.  If you have report ABC in your Reports section, and two dashboards, A and B, you can click on the desired dashboard and make sure it's selected, then you can click on the report ABC and pin any tiles to the previously selected dashboard, so your dashboards A and B would point to the same report ABC.

ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

Yes you can combine data from different sources using merge data option as explained by vishal and later create relationships between them or import data and create reports seperately and later on powerbi.com pin these into a single dashboard!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes Power BI can combine both Data, Here how i have done it to show you in Power BI Designer 

I have take one ODATA Feed 

ODATA Feed Example

Now i have take second source as excel 

ExcelAsDataSource.png

Now you can use merge query to relate them together as shown Use of Merge Queries

Now you are ready for Dashboard combining data from Both Source.

Data From both Source.png

Hope this helps !

Vishal 

Thanks Vishal having everthing with sanpshots , all your answer are really useful and easy to understand.

You can also combine different visualisations form different reports one the same dashboard. However, you can't establish relationships between them that way.

You can combine them with Power Query, and then use the result set in dashboard

Or

you can create a relationship between these two data source in Power BI designer and then your chart will be able to show related information

Author, Consultant, Speaker
https://radacad.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors