Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EricSteynMMD
Frequent Visitor

Calculate Equipment State Duration per Shift

Hi All, I need help please.

I need to report on the duration that a piece of equipment was running in a specific state, during each shift. The issue is that the dataset only has entries when a state change occurs, hence if a specific state runs across 2 shifts, it becomes a challenge to determine how long the equipment was in that state, for the current shift, as the entry for the state might have been captured during the previous shift, and not the current shift. Shifts are 12 hour durations, and run from 06:00-18:00 each day as Day shift and 18:00-06:00 the enxt day, as Night shift

Here is a snip of the data:

StateDateTimeEquipmentStateShiftIndex
2020/08/22 05:50:00Startup1
2020/08/22 06:10:00Running2
2020/08/22 12:30:00Maintenance2
2020/08/22 14:30:00Fail 12
2020/08/22 18:30:00Running3

We want to be able to report, that for ShiftIndex = 2 for example, we have the following EquipmentState Durations and as a percentage of the TotalShiftTime

EquipmentStateDuration in MinutesPercentage of Shift
StartUp1013,8
Running38052,7
Maintenance12016,7
Fail 121029,2

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

here a solution "complete" (corresponding to the status of the information received 😁) avoiding the use of the function List.Accumulate.

starting table:

image.png

output Table:

image.png

the code for the output table:

let

ct = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Table,{{"StateDateTime", type datetime}, {"EquipmentState", type text}, {"ShiftIndex", Int64.Type}}),
    idx=List.RemoveLastN(List.Distinct(ct[ShiftIndex]),1),
    lstR=List.Generate(
        ()=>[r=1,pos=List.PositionOf(ct[ShiftIndex],idx{0},Occurrence.Last), lr=sfht(ct{pos},ct{pos+1})], 
        each [r]<=List.Count(idx),
        each [r=[r]+1, pos=List.PositionOf(ct[ShiftIndex],idx{[r]},Occurrence.Last),lr=sfht(ct{pos},ct{pos+1}) ], 
        each [lr]
    ),
   tc= Table.Combine({Table.FromRecords(List.Combine(lstR)),Table}),
   grp = Table.Group(tc, {"ShiftIndex"}, {{"shIdx", each duration(_)}}),
    #"Expanded shIdx" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(grp, "shIdx", {"StateDateTime", "EquipmentState", "Duration"}, {"StateDateTime", "EquipmentState", "Duration"})
in
    #"Expanded shIdx"

the two functions used:

sfht

let

listRows=(rL,rF)=>
    let
    shift=#duration(0,0,720,0),
    dL=rL[StateDateTime],
    dF=rF[StateDateTime],
    lr=List.Generate(
        ()=>[r=rL&[StateDateTime=#datetime(Date.Year(dL),Date.Month(dL),Date.Day(dL)+sh{1},sh{0},0,0)],idx=1],
        each [r][StateDateTime]<=dF,
        each [r=if Number.Mod(idx,2)=1 then [r]& [StateDateTime=[r][StateDateTime]+shift] else [r]&[ShiftIndex=[r][ShiftIndex]+1],idx=[idx]+1],
     each [r]   
    ), 
    sh=if Time.Hour(dL) < 6 then {6,0} else if Time.Hour(dL)<18 then {18,0} else {6,1}

in lr

in listRows

and finally duration:

let
count=(tab)=>
let
    ts=Table.Sort(tab,{"StateDateTime"}),
    ai = Table.AddIndexColumn(ts, "i", 0, 1)
   in
   Table.RemoveColumns(Table.AddColumn(ai, "Duration", each try if [ShiftIndex]=ai[ShiftIndex]{[i]+1} then Duration.TotalMinutes(ai[StateDateTime]{[i]+1}-[StateDateTime]) else "" otherwise""),{"i"})
in count

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors