Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lemontree
Helper I
Helper I

Calculate Column amount based on condition and row properties

Hi to everyone,

I am having a challenging issue trying to automate a dataset. My data looks like this:

Item ID   Item Name  Qty   Price

1.1       Item xyz     10        5

1.2       Item fgs     12        10

1.3       Item gfw    10        4

2.1    item xyt   5        4

2.2   item xyt   6         7

3.    item k     1       5%

4.   item l       1     3%

so items 3 and 4 are dependent on the the sum of the previous rows. the first step is to calculate qty*price for items in groups 1 and 2 and then the sum those should be multiplied by the respective percentage and give me the results for groups 3 and 4. 

So far I am starting by splitting the item id so that to be able to group and sum by group the calculated amounts but then the problem is that the result for group k should be 5% * ( qty*price for group 1 + qty*price for group 2) etc.

any ideas on how i can automate this one? shall i use some kind of conditional column so that to group 1+2 and then do a second conditional so that to combine them all? 

the additional challenge is that my ending table should include the detailed items for groups 1 and 2 and the values of groups 3 and 4 that will be percentages of the sum of the rows/items above.

thank you in advance for your assistance.

best,

Jim

3 REPLIES 3
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @lemontree ,

Firstly, do you want to achieve your output with power query or dax?

If you only want to achieve that with power query, hope @ImkeF  could help.

If you also could achieve that with dax, i still a little confused about your logic and the desired output.

For your data sample, do you want to achieve the group k to be 13.6=5% * ( 210 + 62)?

If not, could you describe your logic in more details and share your desired output so that we could give other ideas?

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-piga-msft wrote:

Hi @lemontree ,

Firstly, do you want to achieve your output with power query or dax?

If you only want to achieve that with power query, hope @ImkeF  could help.

If you also could achieve that with dax, i still a little confused about your logic and the desired output.

For your data sample, do you want to achieve the group k to be 13.6=5% * ( 210 + 62)?

If not, could you describe your logic in more details and share your desired output so that we could give other ideas?

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Hi @v-piga-msft !

I was thinking to do that in power query but if there is an easier approach through Dax i am fine with this as well. 

Based on the data sample posted the output will be per sub-item, per group and a total one:

Item 1.1 = 10x5 = 50

Item 1.2 = 12x10 =120

Item 1.3 = 10x4 = 40

Item 1 = 50 + 120 + 40 = 210

the same for Item 2 so it will sum up to 62 in total and then 1 + 2 = 272 will be multiplied by 5% to give us item 3 ie 8,16

And then item no 4 should be 3% of items 1, 2 and 3 added together ie 3% x ( 272+8,16) = 14,08

and finaly the total will be the sum of all those.

i hope now it is clear what i am trying to achieve.

thank you in advance for your support!

best,

Jim

lemontree
Helper I
Helper I

actually the issue is slightly more complicated as once i calculate 3 as the percentage of the sum of groups 1 and 2 then 4 will  be the percentage of the sum of the 1 till 3 and so on...any ideas how to optimize and solve for this? 

currently i am working on a solution where i group 1 and 2 and the group and summarize them and then store the values with drill-down that then i call back and use them with a conditional column. but i am wondering if there is a simpler way to solve it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors