Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DLROLLINGS
Helper I
Helper I

COMBINE TABLES AND COLUMNS

Firstly I would like to start this with saying I have a headache, a literally one. 

I have been asked to report on some data that, if I have my way, I would completely rewrite how they are recording the data. The basic principle is there are 120 spreadsheets in a Sharepoint Location that I need to combine. They are in 3 seperate folders and are all uniformed in the approach so simple enough...however the data tables as as below:

Property AddressOpt in Waiver Received DateOpt in Review Date (Waiver plus 6 month)WC 04/10/21WC 11/10/21WC 18/10/21
Address 106/06/202106/12/202106/10/2021DD/MM/YYYY21/10/2021
Address 2 NullDD/MM/YYYYDD/MM/YYYY21/10/2021

The WC dates continue for the full quarter of the year. I can combine all of the sheets within each folder using Power Query easily enough but then I get stuck. What I need to do from here is combine all of the data but in a means that makes much more sense.

Property AddressOpt in Waiver Received DateWaiver Review DateContact Due WeekContact Made
Address 106/06/2021

06/12/2021

04/10/202106/10/2021
Address 106/06/202106/12/202111/10/2021 
Address 106/06/202106/12/202118/10/202121/10/2021
Address 2  04/10/2021 
Address 2  11/10/2021 
Address 2  18/10/202121/10/2021

Any ideas on how I can achieve this? I have looked at UNION(SUMMARIZE...) but could not figure out how I combine 13 columns from 3 different sheet into 1 table whilst replicating every address and adding all relevant data.

Any help would be most appreciated. I have built an excel VBA that could do this for me but I would rather not have additional steps involved and would like to link direct to Power Bi so that I can automate the refresh. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

No point resorting to DAX for dataset transformation given that PQ handles it with ease,

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WckxJKUotLlYwVNJRMtM30zcyMIIwDY2Q2AYwtouLvq+vfiQQADlGhnCZWB2EUUZAKQhCUY1TaywA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Property Address" = _t, #"Opt in Waiver Received Date" = _t, #"Opt in Review Date (Waiver plus 6 month)" = _t, #"WC 04/10/21" = _t, #"WC 11/10/21" = _t, #"WC 18/10/21" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Opt in Waiver Received Date", type date}, {"Opt in Review Date (Waiver plus 6 month)", type date}}, "de"),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Property Address", "Opt in Waiver Received Date", "Opt in Review Date (Waiver plus 6 month)"}, "Contact Due Week", "Contact Made"),
    Xform = Table.TransformColumns(#"Unpivoted Columns", {{"Contact Due Week", each Date.From(Text.Select(_, {"0".."9","/"}), "fr")}, {"Contact Made", each try Date.From(_, "fr") otherwise null}})
in
    Xform

Screenshot 2021-11-27 032129.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

No point resorting to DAX for dataset transformation given that PQ handles it with ease,

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WckxJKUotLlYwVNJRMtM30zcyMIIwDY2Q2AYwtouLvq+vfiQQADlGhnCZWB2EUUZAKQhCUY1TaywA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Property Address" = _t, #"Opt in Waiver Received Date" = _t, #"Opt in Review Date (Waiver plus 6 month)" = _t, #"WC 04/10/21" = _t, #"WC 11/10/21" = _t, #"WC 18/10/21" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Opt in Waiver Received Date", type date}, {"Opt in Review Date (Waiver plus 6 month)", type date}}, "de"),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Property Address", "Opt in Waiver Received Date", "Opt in Review Date (Waiver plus 6 month)"}, "Contact Due Week", "Contact Made"),
    Xform = Table.TransformColumns(#"Unpivoted Columns", {{"Contact Due Week", each Date.From(Text.Select(_, {"0".."9","/"}), "fr")}, {"Contact Made", each try Date.From(_, "fr") otherwise null}})
in
    Xform

Screenshot 2021-11-27 032129.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors