cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
B_atWork
Frequent Visitor

CDATA tags added to title tags possibly causing error

I've been exporting an XML file from our WordPress site and transforming it to load in a Power BI report that also includes Google Analytics data. In the last month I've started getting these errors:

Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value "Page Title" to type Table.
Details:
Value=Page Title
Type=[Type]

 

I loaded an older version of the XML file, and it worked fine. I compared the older and newer XML files and discovered that <![CDATA[ tags have been added to every <title> tag in the XML file. I realize that this might be due to a WordPress plugin or WordPress itself.

 

What can I do, if anything, in Power BI / Power Query to remove the CDATA tags in the <title> tags, or will I have to remove all of the Applied Steps and redo them on those tables?

 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @B_atWork 

 

You don't need to remove all applied steps. You can select steps one by one upward in Applied Steps pane to find out this error starts to occur in which step, then select a step before it in which you can see the additional <CDATA> tags. Then insert a step or some steps from here to transform the table to remove the <CDATA> tags and shape it into the same format as when using the old XML file. If <CDATA> tags are in the same column with <Title>, you can try Replace Values or Extract features. 

062801.jpg

 

If you have difficulty transforming the data, you can paste some sample XML codes here and what the expected result should be after transformation. We can help transform it then.

 

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @B_atWork 

 

You don't need to remove all applied steps. You can select steps one by one upward in Applied Steps pane to find out this error starts to occur in which step, then select a step before it in which you can see the additional <CDATA> tags. Then insert a step or some steps from here to transform the table to remove the <CDATA> tags and shape it into the same format as when using the old XML file. If <CDATA> tags are in the same column with <Title>, you can try Replace Values or Extract features. 

062801.jpg

 

If you have difficulty transforming the data, you can paste some sample XML codes here and what the expected result should be after transformation. We can help transform it then.

 

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

Thanks. I ended up using a text editor to replace the CDATA tags, and it all worked out correctly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS on Demand

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

July 2021 Update 768x460.png

Check it out!

Click here to read more about the July 2021 Updates

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors