Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jameswh91
Helper III
Helper III

Building a data model with multiple sales tables

Hi,

I'm trying to build a sales data dashoboard with data that comes from our data warehouse. The issue i have is that we have multiple shopify stores. Therefore i have multiple sales tables, customer tables etc. Does anyone know the best way to model this in order to give total sales etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Jameswh91 ,

You're aiming to build a STAR SCHEMA model, where each of your sales tables are FACT tables, and you relate these to DIMENSION tables that hold descriptive fields that are common to all the sales tables.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/star-schema 

This is standard best practice in almost any (relational) data modelling scenario.

Here's a simplified view of a model I'm currently working on that uses a star schema model over multiple fact tables. You'll see that every dimension table is related to every fact table on common fields:

BA_Pete_0-1647598494039.png

The actual model has 6 fact tables and 9 dimension tables, but all the fact tables are controllable for calculation purposes by the dimension tables.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Jameswh91 ,

You're aiming to build a STAR SCHEMA model, where each of your sales tables are FACT tables, and you relate these to DIMENSION tables that hold descriptive fields that are common to all the sales tables.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/star-schema 

This is standard best practice in almost any (relational) data modelling scenario.

Here's a simplified view of a model I'm currently working on that uses a star schema model over multiple fact tables. You'll see that every dimension table is related to every fact table on common fields:

BA_Pete_0-1647598494039.png

The actual model has 6 fact tables and 9 dimension tables, but all the fact tables are controllable for calculation purposes by the dimension tables.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors