Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bug: invisible folders for Microsoft Exchange Online

Hello,

I've encountered a bug when importing data from the Microsoft Exchange Online into Power BI. For one of the mail address of which I need to import mail, there is a folder with special permissions. I could not see this folder, as indicated by not having this folder as a filter option in the Folder Path (after: Load more), next to seeing none of those e-mails in the report after loading the data.

When I discovered I had no access:

1. I asked the IT department to gain access. The account with which I connect to the mailbox gained viewing rights (in outlook: the "view folder" box was checked).
  2. I still could not see the Folder Path in Power Query.
  3. When I filtered on a random different map in the list, and then manually changed the code to the desired (invisible) folder map, those e-mails actually did show up. The folder was now also listed in the Folder Path filter options.
  4. When I (manually) included this Folder Path in my list of allowed folder paths in the code, the required emails would disappear again IF I don't include a folder path with multiple conditions.

What is allowed by Power Query:  

Table.SelectRows(Mail1,

each ([Folder Path] = "\Inbox\"

or [Folder Path] = "\Inbox\AnotherFolder\"

or [Folder Path] = "\Inbox\InvisibleFolder\"

)

or:

Table.SelectRows(Mail1,

or ([Folder Path] = "\Inbox\YetAnotherFolder\" and Date.Year([DateTimeSent]) >= Date.Year(DateTimeZone.UtcNow()) - 2)

))

What is not allowed:

Table.SelectRows(Mail1,

or [Folder Path] = "\Inbox\InvisibleFolder\"

or ([Folder Path] = "\Inbox\YetAnotherFolder\" and Date.Year([DateTimeSent]) >= Date.Year(DateTimeZone.UtcNow()) - 2)

))

If I include \Inbox\YetAnotherFolder\ to the mix, the \Inbox\InvisibleFolder\ mails will again not show up in the results.

To summarise: the contents of a mailbox folder, which has specific access rights, and to which the used connection account  previously had no rights, but was given rights, do not show up in the query results (not only preview, also in loading !) UNLESS there has been put a specific, SIMPLE filter on this folder. Reloading previews, reconnecting with the same account to the data source (first using a different account, then re-logging with the 'right' account) has no effect on this.

Workaround: I loaded the mailbox twice (or perhaps you could copy the mailbox right after loading it once in case of larger mailboxes, but this is easier and in my case it concerns only a very small mailbox). I then filtered one mailbox to the "\Inbox\InvisibleFolder\", and the other to the other folders I needed to see. Then I appended the first mailbox to the latter.

1 REPLY 1
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Thank you for posting this issue and sharing your workaround with the community! I'm sure it will help more people who may have similar problems.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors