Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Buffer a table to improve performance

Hi, 

I read a few articles about how to buffer a table, but i am not sure of what i am doing, neither if it really helps. Here is what i have done so far, including the buffer query. Could you let me know if the buffers are doing anything good or wrong ? If wrong, how should i use the Buffer query to improve the performance of my query ? It takes 20min to refresh given it sucks all the "Iwi" lists (all the same) from a lots of sharepoint sites from a Project Online app.

Thanks

JL

let
Source = OData.Feed("https://xxxxxxx.sharepoint.com/sites/pwasandbox/_api/ProjectData"),
Projects_table = Source{[Name="Projects",Signature="table"]}[Data],
#"Selected Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(Projects_table,{"ProjectId", "ProjectName", "ProjectWorkspaceInternalUrl"}),
#"TableBuffer1" = Table.Buffer(#"Selected Columns"),
#"AllListData"=Table.AddColumn(#"TableBuffer1","Iwi",each GetList([ProjectWorkspaceInternalUrl],"Iwi")),
#"RemovedErrors"=Table.RemoveRowsWithErrors(#"AllListData"),
#"TableBuffer2"=Table.Buffer(#"RemovedErrors"),
#"Expanded Iwi" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"TableBuffer2", "Iwi", {"IwiGroupName", "InterestValue", "DateOfAnswer", "Comments"}, {"Iwi.IwiGroupName", "Iwi.InterestValue", "Iwi.DateOfAnswer", "Iwi.Comments"})
in
#"Expanded Iwi"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

You aren't using it wrong, but it only help performance in some cases. It doesn't buffer the table in memory for the next step. It techinally isolates it from external changes. So, a great use for this is to use it after sorting data. It is possible subsequent actions could cause the sort to change. It can be a huge performance booster for lists. I use List.Buffer() all of the time but lists are pretty small and are used differently.

If you aren't getting good performance gains, it means it isn't really helping in your scenario, and you certianly don't need to use it twice in a query - unless it is for a specific purpose, like protecting a sort.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
edhans
Super User
Super User

You aren't using it wrong, but it only help performance in some cases. It doesn't buffer the table in memory for the next step. It techinally isolates it from external changes. So, a great use for this is to use it after sorting data. It is possible subsequent actions could cause the sort to change. It can be a huge performance booster for lists. I use List.Buffer() all of the time but lists are pretty small and are used differently.

If you aren't getting good performance gains, it means it isn't really helping in your scenario, and you certianly don't need to use it twice in a query - unless it is for a specific purpose, like protecting a sort.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks heaps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors