Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aaande8
Frequent Visitor

Broken Power Query

Currently I pull data form a sharpoint 2016 list. I had all my pivot tables and charts set up. I had deleted and re added a column in the sharepoint list which seems to have broke my power query. Error message indicated below. Within sharepoint I had added a new column called "Reason SLA Missed" to see if it would pull in the data to data model, which it did, then I deleted the old column named "Reason for SLA Miss" and renamed the new column to match the old. I went back into the power query to update and I get the error below. I changed the column name back to "Reason SLA Missed" and just update the name within the power query. However am still getting the same issue. Please see screen shots. Am wondering if there is something am not updating to get the power query to pull the new column in and forget the old column. Capture4.PNGCapture3.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aaande8
Frequent Visitor

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29135515/excel-powerpivot-update-error-object-was-not-found-in-t...

I found my solution here. It had to do with the filter that was on the pivot chart that was using the old column that I deleted. I removed the filter and it seems to have worked. Solution below.

The cleanest solution I found up to now is to use your previous working model (the one which worked fine before the update) and find all the pivots where you were filtered on "Desktop". Set these filters to "All" and then run your update.

This way you don't lose your pivot table, which sometimes is a big rework to rebuild, specially when you had charts and other dependencies linked to such pivot.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
aaande8
Frequent Visitor

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29135515/excel-powerpivot-update-error-object-was-not-found-in-t...

I found my solution here. It had to do with the filter that was on the pivot chart that was using the old column that I deleted. I removed the filter and it seems to have worked. Solution below.

The cleanest solution I found up to now is to use your previous working model (the one which worked fine before the update) and find all the pivots where you were filtered on "Desktop". Set these filters to "All" and then run your update.

This way you don't lose your pivot table, which sometimes is a big rework to rebuild, specially when you had charts and other dependencies linked to such pivot.

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @aaande8 

You delete a column or change the column name which is imported into Power BI data model,

when refreshing, it can't find the column by the column name imported before from data source,

thus, it throws an error.

You could add a new column in data source, then refresh from Power BI/Power Query,

delete the old column from Power BI/Query, or rename the new column in Power BI/Query.

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

When I changed the new columns name to Reason for SLA Missed and refreshed the data in the power query it still shows the old name "Reason SLA Missed" I am not sure why that wont pull in the new name now. Any idea as to why that is?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors