Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alkor777
Frequent Visitor

Binary data

All our primary keys are stored in binary format, so I can append tables in the query but I can't link tables, As a result, I can't transform data on report level because my primary keys don't show up. Is there any way in dax to transform binary data to another format string, so I can see these column in the report?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @alkor777,

I am afraid that you are not able to use DAX to transfer binary data to another format string.

Based on my test, when I import SQL Server table which contains binary data to Power BI Desktop, even if I can see the binary data column in Query Editor of Power BI Desktop, the column is removed from the resulting table in Data view and Report view, as shown in the following screenshot.
1.PNG

As stated in this article, this binary data type column is currently not supported in Power BI Desktop, and an idea about this issue has been submitted in this link, please vote it. In your scenario,  you would need to change the data type of primary keys columns in the original data source.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @alkor777,

I am afraid that you are not able to use DAX to transfer binary data to another format string.

Based on my test, when I import SQL Server table which contains binary data to Power BI Desktop, even if I can see the binary data column in Query Editor of Power BI Desktop, the column is removed from the resulting table in Data view and Report view, as shown in the following screenshot.
1.PNG

As stated in this article, this binary data type column is currently not supported in Power BI Desktop, and an idea about this issue has been submitted in this link, please vote it. In your scenario,  you would need to change the data type of primary keys columns in the original data source.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I found solution to this problem

Just select the column that is having binary data in query editer and click right >> transform >> text and it is done. click close and apply you will be able to see the column with appropriate text, which otherwise was not available to see in table view.

solution to binary.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors