Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MagnusSthlm
Helper I
Helper I

Best way to refresh data with multiple sources

Hi!

I develop a Power BI application getting data from Dynamics NAV through a number of web services (odata feed). No gateway is needed because of odata feed.

The customer wants to add some data by updating an Excel file monthly. If I use Get Data  in the desktop version I combine the data in the datamodel.  

I have no problem publishing it to powerbi.com but how do my customer update the Excel file that is now "bundled" into the .pbix file? Do I need a gateway to their server where the file is?

/Magnus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@MagnusSthlm,

Based on your description, you combine online data source and on-premises data source in a single PBIX file. In this case, you can use personal mode gateway to refresh your dataset in Power BI Service. Enter credentials for the two data sources(Dynamic NAV and Excel) in Power BI Service after you install gateway on a server that has access to the Excel file.

Another method is to upload Excel file to OneDrive for business, this way, when you combine the Excel data source and Dynamics NAV data source in a single PBIX file, no gateway is required to refresh your dataset in Power BI Service.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@MagnusSthlm,

Based on your description, you combine online data source and on-premises data source in a single PBIX file. In this case, you can use personal mode gateway to refresh your dataset in Power BI Service. Enter credentials for the two data sources(Dynamic NAV and Excel) in Power BI Service after you install gateway on a server that has access to the Excel file.

Another method is to upload Excel file to OneDrive for business, this way, when you combine the Excel data source and Dynamics NAV data source in a single PBIX file, no gateway is required to refresh your dataset in Power BI Service.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors