Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Elgonz
Frequent Visitor

Beginner: Gateway set up and server questions

Power BI help 1.PNGHello. I am have installed the Gateway software and am struggling. Unfortunately, I am the IT dept in my company. Can you please tell me if I am understanding the basic entries correctly:

a) Data Source Name: I entered a previously created Power BI Document I created

b) Data SOurce Type: SQL (the source is an online swiftpage ACT! Web Premium, but using a locally created remote database that synchronizes with it)

c) Server: My computer name

d) Database: Is the remote database that is on my deskop (as mentioned above, synchronizes with the database in the web)

e) Basic: I don't understand what the log in for this would be (Microsoft? Not Windows? My admin for the computer? The database?) -- I've tried them all I believe.

Power BI help 2.PNG

e) Windows: I've tried this authentication as well and receive the same message.

I had previously been connected but then tried a refresh and lost my connnections to the data so re-started. I want to launch the data for the company (tomorrow of course) so am trying to make a secure connection, but concerned that if I continue to do it incorrectly, I'll keep wasting time. 

Tons of appreciation in advance!

Lisa

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Elgonz,

Firstly, what account do you connect to the SQL Database in PBIX file and in SSMS? Please enter same account and credential when adding SQL data source within gateway.

Secondly, are you able to connect to the SQL Server database from the SSMS which is installed in the same machine as your gateway?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you.

No. I have downloaded SSMS and it will let me see the database, but it says i don't have credentials.  As mentioned, I'm the admin on the computer (and for the company)...  can i change these credentials?

wrote:

Thank you.

No. I have downloaded SSMS and it will let me see the database, but it says i don't have credentials.  As mentioned, I'm the admin on the computer (and for the company)...  can i change these credentials?

@Elgonz,

Do you mean that you are not able to connect to the database in SSMS as you don't have credentials? If so, you would need to ask for the admin of the SQL Server instance to create a login for you in the instance.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors