Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Azure embedded preview

Hello fellow PowerBi'ers,

I am looking to provision a workspace using the Azure PowerBi Embedded preview.  It's free for a short period and it sounds great.

There's a git-hub sample of code which I can open in Visual Studio to provision the workspace.  I have an Azure subscription id, a Resource Group (EmbeddedDevelopers), and I have a Workspace collection.  So seems like I'm all set.

When I run the project and put in these three things...It says I can't use a null value.  It's caught up with the Client ID.  So, try to find support and the answer is to go to Azure and for $29 per month (smallest amount) they'll answer my question...or I can go to a forum, which is also behind the paywall.  So, long and short--I am unable to name a workspace and upload a .pbix file

I'm really just trying to provision and use for a short bit--and the preview trial has given me valid info...any ideas here?

Thanks,

Tom

10 REPLIES 10
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I just went through this a couple days ago and got it to work. I followed the article here:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/power-bi-embedded-get-started-sample/

I used the github sample project here:

https://github.com/Azure-Samples/power-bi-embedded-integrate-report-into-web-app

Did you import the PBIX file into the workspace using the command-line program? What step are you hung up on?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hello @smoupre--Yes, that's where I'm getting my cue's from too.  So I have all the proper credentials--Azure Subscription, Resource Group, Workspace Collection (actually I have two, but only need one), created a workspace...all are on my Azure portal.

I've been able to get it to attempt to upload, but it's failed each time.  Here's a pic:  It asks for the Workspace id, Dataset Name, FilePath, and access key...etc.  and then I get this fail message.

Failed.png

So I'll try in the am.  Maybe the servers are tired.  And there is no one I can actually call at Microsoft that I can figure.

Tom

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

OK, I used a different and smaller model..made recently with the latest PowerBi (not that either of these matter, but who knows) and got a successful upload.

Thanks @Greg_Deckler for weighing in.  And now--I find myself wondering where the heck the model is to connect to it.  Perhaps that's all in the embedded connection part of the embedded Visual Studio project....but it does show my ever expanding domain of ignorant questions!

Tom

Thanks All,

I develop a dashboard using Microsoft Analysis service as data source and try to import my Power BI file it is successfully imported.

I am following this site

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/power-bi-embedded-get-started-sample/

But when I develop a dashboard using document DB and try to import Power BI dashboard file on Azure it’s Fail

I am follow same link

Please help me on this

Regards,

Manish

Sorry, Manish--I didn't try to import the sample .pbix.  There isn't any useful info in the error message--just the outcome, so it's hard to figure what is causing what.  

I'm told that Fiddler is a tool that can help diagnose what's going on during the upload.  I have not tried it but that would have been my next step if I was unable to upload succesfully.

Tom

Thanks All,

Any body from Microsoft Power BI Team, can let us know it is possible or not. i need to confirm my Customer to use of power BI Embedded on azure.

Regards,

Manish

Hi,

Anybody can say this is limitation of power BI, we cannot upload power BI desktop file on Power BI workspace on azure if data source is Document DB.

Regards,

Manish

I don't think folks can understand your question. A .pbxi desktop model can be uploaded to Azure and embedded.  I'm not sure what you mean by the data source is a Document DB.  The .pbxi model is what is embedded.  Updating the model is a different question and/or issue.

Tom

Thanks for replay,

I have develop  dashboard using  power BI desktop, for creating dashboard I am fetch data from Document DB as data source. Now I want to upload my .pbix file on azure Power BI Workspace.

Once it is upload successfully on azure workspace then I can embedded in my .NET Application.

But I am not able to upload .pbix file on azure Power BI workspace. It’s fail.

Hope you clear now,

Regards,

Manish

Hello Manish--there is nothing unusual soundding in what you are doing.  It seems like a good application idea.  Did you try to use Fiddler, or find someone who can help you with it.  Apparently that will help diagnose what is happening during the upload process.  It is a general tool..not specific to powerbi uploading, but supposed to be helpful.

As I mentioned, I've never used it, but it will be my next step if I am unable to get a .pbix file to upload.  Then, after using fiddler, you can post new information to ask for more informed help.  I would start a new thread with new questions, informed by fiddler.

Good luck,

Tom

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors