Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

davidutl
Frequent Visitor

Azure SQL Server Managed Instance

With the new Azure SQL Managed Instance coming soon is there any indication how Power BI might handle this?

Will it be treated as a SQL Database connection possible through the gateway, an Azure SQL Database connection, or something dedicated to this new offering?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@davidutl,

Azure SQL server Managed Instance is a cloud data source, which is similar as Azure SQL database, when you refresh the dataset that contains the data source, gateway is not required. You "Connect Directly" to the data source in Power BI Service.

And in Power BI Desktop, it is possible to use Azure SQL database connector to connect to the Azure SQL managed instance.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear,

I have the same issue, please you re-share how to configure PBI service and SQL MI (public).

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@davidutl @ajil,

I get response from PG:

"At the moment, gateway is needed for PowerBI Online to access Azure SQL Managed Instance residing in customer’s virtual network, just like with SQL Server on-premises.

I would also add that later this year Managed Instance is going to offer optional public endpoint, which will allow PowerBI Online to access it directly, without need for gateway, which will also unlock OAuth2 (AAD) authentication option."

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is still gateway needed for connecting to azure sql managed instance from power bi service.

Is enabling the public endpoint of the sql managed instanc feature available now where in this case no gateway needed. 

I tried latest yesterday without using Gateway and enabling endpoint it didn't work , i don't want to use gateway, is there any update on this.

Thanks,

Pankaj

I have exact similar situation and am not eager to have a VM sitting all day long and running gateway.

Do we have any road map or timeline around the optional public end-point or any other better way of getting this ?

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@davidutl,

Azure SQL server Managed Instance is a cloud data source, which is similar as Azure SQL database, when you refresh the dataset that contains the data source, gateway is not required. You "Connect Directly" to the data source in Power BI Service.

And in Power BI Desktop, it is possible to use Azure SQL database connector to connect to the Azure SQL managed instance.

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia, 

Good afternoon,

In our case, this is not working. Tried to connect Azure Managed Instance from PowerBI Service. 

Connection details: Public endpoint , Basic authentication method.

Here is the error:

Failed to update data source credentials: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.)Hide details

Please let me know if gateway setup is needed or not ?

Thanks

Srihari

Hi Lydia, 

Please ignore my previous message, I confirm i'm able to connect Azure Managed Instance from PowerBI Service. No need of gateway. We must include the port in the connection string. 

Thank You

Srihari

Can you please share more details how you did it? I am facing similar issue/error like yours.

Hi Srihari,

I'm having the same issue you have just been through.

I already have the port in the connection string, do you have any other suggestions? Ours looks like xx,#### as a suffix

Hi, 

Please make sure Public endpoint is enabled under the networking in managed instance. If not enable. Public endpoint connection should work without any issues.

Thanks

Srihari

Hi, we just upgraded from SQL DB to managed instance, and our DirectQuery stopped working in the cloud service (connection to the managed instance works fine on PowerBI desktop). Has this been addressed/solved yet?

Azure SQL server Managed Instance is a cloud data source, but inside virtual network. Data Loading and Reading will not be a public access. I am wondering how Power BI will handle this without a Gateway? 

-Ajil

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors