Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

scnguyen92
Frequent Visitor

Azure PostgreSQL Direct Query?

Hi!

Can you direct query in PowerBI to an Azure PSQL database? I'm having trouble finding information online. I assumed you could as it is Azure-hosted, but when I try to connect, it fails (using the Azure SQL Database data source). It gives this error:

If I try to use PostgreSQL as an import query, I get the below error. This same error happens both when SSL is enabled and disabled. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@scnguyen92

Azure SQL database connector in Power BI Desktop can’t be used to connect to Azure PostgreSQL database, however, PostgreSQL database connector should work.

In your scenario, please install Npgsql 3.1.8 instead of installing latest version of Npgsql driver, and ensure that you install required certificate on the machine that have Power BI Desktop installed. You can follow the guide in this article to install certificate and configure SSL connectivity.

There is also a similar thread for your reference.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Connecting-to-PostgresSQL-hosted-on-AWS...

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Team

While connecting with azure postgre sql database to power bi desktop asking for server name and database name  may i know where to take credentials from azure portal and How can i get password 

and from which mode we need to take(import or direct query) need some documents or tutorial 

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

after providing credentials we authentication wrong need some information for where we can get all those details pls provide screen shots

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@scnguyen92

Azure SQL database connector in Power BI Desktop can’t be used to connect to Azure PostgreSQL database, however, PostgreSQL database connector should work.

In your scenario, please install Npgsql 3.1.8 instead of installing latest version of Npgsql driver, and ensure that you install required certificate on the machine that have Power BI Desktop installed. You can follow the guide in this article to install certificate and configure SSL connectivity.

There is also a similar thread for your reference.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Connecting-to-PostgresSQL-hosted-on-AWS...

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
scnguyen92
Frequent Visitor

Hi!

Can you direct query in PowerBI to an Azure PSQL database? I'm having trouble finding information online. I assumed you could as it is Azure-hosted, but when I try to connect, it fails (using the Azure SQL Database data source). It gives this error:

If I try to use PostgreSQL as an import query, I get the below error. This same error happens both when SSL is enabled and disabled. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors