Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Azure Analysis Services On-Premise Gateway vs Power BI Gateway

We have a Power BI Enterprise gateway running on a local server.  It provides access to both Oracle and our on-premise Analysis Services Olap and tabular servers from our Power BI Service.   It works great.

We are evaluating Azure Analysis Services as an alternative to maintaining op-premise SSAS tabular servers.  We have the Azure Analysis Services instance up and running and deployed a small tabular model with data sources pointed back at our Oracle data warehouse.  These same data sources and queries exist for several of our Power BI reports which refresh with no problem. 

After deploying I looked at connecting the Azure Analysis Services database to our On-premise gateway.  The documentation sources seemed to indicate that the Azure gateway was different than the Power BI gateway.

Can I use the existing Power BI enterprise gateway for Azure Analysis Services or do I need to setup one just for Azure?   If I have to install another instance, can I have both the Power BI and Azure gateways on the same local server or do I have to have then on different servers?

Thx, Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous I haven't done this directly yet, but from my understanding it is currently a seperate gateway. As described here it's based on the same OPD Gateway that Power BI uses, so i would imagine it is only a matter of time before this is no longer seperate. If I read things correctly, I would assume that you would need to install this on a seperate server than the current one you have running for Power BI.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
malagari
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I just recently came across this same thing - I had an existing Power BI Data Gateway installed in my on-prem environment, and we decided to switch to the SSAS/AAS model. After some troubleshooting, I had to remove the Power BI Data Gateway and install the separate (but similar looking) Azure Data Gateway.

I read somewhere on the forums that Microsoft is planning on joining these two together, but for now, they are separate.

Dan Malagari
Consultant at Headspring

This is enormously confusing...I'm now stuck trying to figure out what gateway I am using.  I guess I will open a support tikcet but Microsoft, PLEASE do not do things lke this...making similar but different components for PowerBI reduces adoption!

Hello ,

Was  your problem resolved? I believe that for Azure Analysis Servce you do not need any gateway at all, since the Azure Analysis Service is hosted on cloud and is not on preminse, where it needs a secured connection pipeline.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback to both of you.   We are moving ahead with installing the Azure Gateway on a separate VM from the PowerBI Gateway.

@Anonymous I haven't done this directly yet, but from my understanding it is currently a seperate gateway. As described here it's based on the same OPD Gateway that Power BI uses, so i would imagine it is only a matter of time before this is no longer seperate. If I read things correctly, I would assume that you would need to install this on a seperate server than the current one you have running for Power BI.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors