Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

narain337
Frequent Visitor

Automatically share excel file in OneDrive while sharing Power BI App or PowerApp

Hello All,

I have an excel file in onedrive which is use as a backend to build a PowerApp. I want to expose the PowerApp via PowerBI using PowerApps custom visual. So I sourced the same excel file in PowerBI and embedded the powerApp using custom visual. The app will show the data in Excel and the user can update the data if needed.

Everything works fine in this setup but things are getting complicated while sharing with other people. It looks like I have to share the backend excel file in OneDrive while adding a user to PowerBI and PowerApp. This has become a three step process now. Is there a way to automatically share the excel file when the power bi or power app is shared with an user?

Another problem: if I grant access to users in a distribution list, everyone can see the excel file in the "Shared with me" section after they login to their onedrive account. If any one opens that file it gets locked and the app cannot update it. How can we avoid this issue?

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@narain337,

Do you want to share the Power BI report containing PowerApps custom visual to other users? If so, what method do you use to share the report, and what error message do you get if don't share the Excel file?

On Power BI side, it is not possible to share the original Excel file when sharing report, however, you can share the dataset by adding users as Power BI app wprkspace members.

In addition, what do you mean "the app cannot update it"? Do you refer  to PowerApp or Power BI app?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Correct, I want to share PowerBI report with a PowerApp custom Visual to other users. The PowerApp sources data from an Excel file stored in OneDrive for business.

I shared the PowerBI report to users from the "Access" tab while updating the app workspace, and I do the same while sharing the PowerApp. If I don't share the excel file, the users see "Unable to load.." error.  

By "the app cannot update it", I refer to the PowerApp. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors