Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Automatically adjust query with new token

Hi all,

I would like to integrate some marketing data via an API that requires a token. However, after every 30 days the token expires, so I have to keep manually adjusting the query with the new token.
I can get a new token through the API by sending my credentials using Basic Authentication. I would like to automate this process so that a new token is generated via the API when the old one expires and has not returned any data. And when refreshing the data, the new token should be used then.

Do you have any idea how I can implement this in Power Query? I would appreciate your help very much!

2 REPLIES 2
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

As far as I know, Power Query is able to use the Web connector to call the API to get dynamic token. Using the Power BI Rest API as an example, we can use the following code to get the token and then configure scheduled refresh on the Service.

() =>
let 
    body = "grant_type=password&&resource=https://analysis.windows.net/powerbi/api&&response_type=code&&client_id=xxxxxxxxxxx&&client_secret=xxxxxxxxx&&username=xxxxxxxx&&password=xxxxxx",
    Data=Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://login.microsoftonline.com/common/oauth2/token/",
        [Headers=[#"Content-Type"="application/x-www-form-urlencoded"], Content=Text.ToBinary(body)])),
    access_token = Data[access_token]
in 
    access_token

vkkfmsft_0-1659581246029.png

Referencing: Solved: Power BI API and scheduled refresh 

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Winniz,

thank you very much for your feedback and support.

However, I'm afraid it won't solve my problem yet, so I would like to give you more detailed information:

I would like to have a solution that generates a new token from the mentioned marketing platform once the old one expires and does not retrieve any data. And this usually happens every 30 days.
However, I can only create a limited number of new tokens in a given period of time. That means I can't implement a solution in Power Query that generates a new token on every refresh (every 30 minutes automatically) before the data is retrieved, otherwise I risk being denied access to the platform or similar.
So I had thought of a solution that generates the new token, only when the old one expires (e.g. via a function like GetAccessToken), "caches" that somehow, so that the new token is taken directly at the next refresh and is not tested again for the old token. And then using the token to retrieve the data.

Do you have any idea how I can solve this with Power Query? I would be very grateful for any support!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors