Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cthardwik
Frequent Visitor

Automatic Data Transformation

I have lots of different spreadsheets that are all the same format, but with different data in them. At the moment I have to upload each speadsheet individualy, carry out the transformations of the data in query editor and then appended them all together. Is there a way this can be done automatically?

For example is there a way with using Get Data from Folders?  Can Power BI select all the specific tables in the spreadsheets and then carry out a pre deturmined set of transformations on the data? And then perhaps even append them all together?

(All the spreadsheets have a lot of tables in that I am not interested in, but I only upload the same 3 tables from each spreadsheet, which are all in the same format)

The transformations I carry out on each table are:

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table9"]}[Content]
   #"Transposed Table" = Table.Transpose(Source),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Transposed Table"),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Promoted Headers", {"Date", "Status"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Unpivoted Columns",{{"Date", type date}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

So basically, transposed table, promote first row as headers, unpivot a set amount of columns, change type of one of the rows to date.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have, or can create, a table of the workbooks you want (with the same Table in each) then you can process them all with your transformations set up as a function - e.g. see https://www.powerpivotpro.com/2015/07/consolidated-worksheets-with-power-query/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors