Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GuiBrunet
Regular Visitor

Assigning users row level security roles

I've created some roles for users within Power BI desktop but I can't find how to add users to the roles.

Once I log on to the service and go to the security page, I a message telling me that RLS has moved to Power Bi Desktop.

But once in the desktop I can't see where to add said users to roles already created.

I looked at the turotial ( https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls) which says You cannot assign users to a role within Power BI Desktop. This is done within the Power BI service.

So now I'm just confused.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

After you publish your pbix file to an App Workspace, go into the service and select the appropriate workspace

The selected workspace should show up on the left hand side, under the "Workspaces" item

Expand your workspace by selecting the ^ or > icon next to your workspace name

Hover over the "DATASETS" item under your workspace and select the "..." icon

You should then see a list of selections, where "SECURITY" is one of the items

Select "SECURITY" and you should see the roles you defined in your pbix file

This is where you add users

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

After you publish your pbix file to an App Workspace, go into the service and select the appropriate workspace

The selected workspace should show up on the left hand side, under the "Workspaces" item

Expand your workspace by selecting the ^ or > icon next to your workspace name

Hover over the "DATASETS" item under your workspace and select the "..." icon

You should then see a list of selections, where "SECURITY" is one of the items

Select "SECURITY" and you should see the roles you defined in your pbix file

This is where you add users

Hope this helps,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for this response and thank goodness for this community. Why this isn't noted in the BI documentation is beyond me.

Nevermind my previous reply. As it turns out, I was using a previous PBIX that did't have any roles defined. It works now. Thank you

That's what I did but when I click on Security it takes me to a page that says that Row Level Security has moved to Power Bi Desktop and provides me with a link to download Power BI Desktop

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors