Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

leonhnoel91

Appropriate query type - DA-100 certification exam skill

Hi all,

im currently studying for the DA-100 certification exam.

One of the skills (in the section 'prepare the data ') that is going to be measured is described as follows:

choose an appropriate query type

Any idea what is meant by this?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

That is a kind of nebulous requirement and I wouldn't bother reading too much into it. I think it is just saying "figure out the best way to query and load the data. There are good ways and bad ways to write M code in Power Query, and part of it too goes with the "selecte a storage mode" as queries written for DirectQuery would often be different than those that are Import model.

As long as you can write pretty decent queries using the user interface, you should be fine, understanding when to use Group By, unpivoting data, etc. Queries of nice SQL Tables will be different than ugly CSV files or Excel spreadsheets for example.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
edhans
Super User
Super User

That is a kind of nebulous requirement and I wouldn't bother reading too much into it. I think it is just saying "figure out the best way to query and load the data. There are good ways and bad ways to write M code in Power Query, and part of it too goes with the "selecte a storage mode" as queries written for DirectQuery would often be different than those that are Import model.

As long as you can write pretty decent queries using the user interface, you should be fine, understanding when to use Group By, unpivoting data, etc. Queries of nice SQL Tables will be different than ugly CSV files or Excel spreadsheets for example.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors