Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alexanderg
Advocate II
Advocate II

Approach for build a scaled solution

Hello Everybody

In your experience, Which is the best design approach to architect a scaled solution using Power BI?

Any reply would be helpful, thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@alexanderg

This is just one approach, but I like it for security/backup/ease of use. It leverages AD, the Desktop and the Service.

1) Security is managed via AD groups to simplify user management. You have control of which end users can read the model, which users can publish reports via that datasource (Enterprise Gateway), which users have access to the Power BI Groups. This also allows for row level security on the model level).

2) I use the desktop to build/update reports using my SSAS connection. This gives me backups/version control because I have the file which I can re-deploy anywhere, and I can store it in any number of locations including those like Sharepoint where I can see modified dates, etc.

3) I use Power BI Groups as the only place to pull company level reports into. This gives me the ability to have a group of people manage reports and own them, so everything isn't in one persons workspace.

4) For most end users, a shared dashboard is going to be easier to understand, so that is typically the best way I've found to intially start sharing reports. Although Content Packs are powerful, and I think are a great "Step 2" for implementing certain solutions, but only after I'm sure the owners and end users know how to use them.

This is a really high level broad strokes bullet point list, but it's typically my recommendation path for larger scalable solutions. At this point in time building business processes has to take the place of admin controls or features since those are not in the tool by default. I'm hoping more of the capabilities are added over time.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors