Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Applying a common filter to multiple tables

Hi, 

I need some help with the below example. We currenlty have a dashboard which uses multiple tables from different dataflows. These tables have data of different customers and for each dashboard we are using this data of different customers. 

Jagan_MFilterIT_0-1657288663038.png

we are currently applying the customer filter in each table query. Something like below 

Table 1: 

Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each Text.StartsWith([customer], "A") or Text.Contains([customer], "B") )

Table 2: 

Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each Text.StartsWith([customer], "A") or Text.Contains([customer], "B") )

Table 3: 

So everytime a new customer needs to be added or removed all the queries have to be manually updated and refreshed in local. 

IS there a way where i can maintain a seperate customer table like below and pass this as a parameter to all the table level queries?  

Jagan_MFilterIT_1-1657288865532.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You will need to create 2 tables as you will not know the position of values for Text.StartsWith and for Text.Contains. 

Let's call them CustomerList1 and CustomerList2. After creating them, right click on the column name - Drill down - This will convert both tables into lists.

Now, below formula will be used

= Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each List.Contains(CustomerList1,[Customer],(x,y)=>Text.StartsWith(y,x)) or List.Contains(CustomerList2,[Customer],(x,y)=>Text.Contains(y,x)))

Now, you will update/delete/add in these 2 tables only and queries will not need to be touched.

I have created an example in an Excel and uploaded to https://1drv.ms/x/s!Akd5y6ruJhvhug0s4OUNxC-itvnw?e=2J4cYM 

In that Excel - Data menu - Queries and connections - Click on any query to test the logic.

You may be prompted for for Security Warning that External data connections have bene disabled - Click Enable Content

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Yes, let's call this table as CustomerTbl with field name Active Customer. Then your query would be

Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each Text.StartsWith([customer], CustomerTbl[Active Customer]{0}) or Text.Contains([customer], CustomerTbl[Active Customer]{1}) )

Another way is to create 2 parameters named Customer1 and Customer2 and then your query becomes

Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each Text.StartsWith([customer], Customer1) or Text.Contains([customer], Customer2)

How to create parameter - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/power-query-query-parameters  

but even in this case I have to update all the Query if i add another customer to the cusotmer table. Say if i add third customer then all table queries have to be updated with :

Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each Text.StartsWith([customer], CustomerTbl[Active Customer]{0}) or Text.Contains([customer], CustomerTbl[Active Customer]{1} or Text.Contains([customer], CustomerTbl[Active Customer]{2}) )

Is there a way i can pass this customer list from customer table as a list for the filter? 

I need to know following before creating a query - 

Text.StartsWith - Will it use only 1 customer or can use multiple customers?

Text.Contains - This can anyway use multiple customers as demonstrated by you.

Will use multiple customers sir. 

maintable should filter based on all customers available in customer table

You will need to create 2 tables as you will not know the position of values for Text.StartsWith and for Text.Contains. 

Let's call them CustomerList1 and CustomerList2. After creating them, right click on the column name - Drill down - This will convert both tables into lists.

Now, below formula will be used

= Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each List.Contains(CustomerList1,[Customer],(x,y)=>Text.StartsWith(y,x)) or List.Contains(CustomerList2,[Customer],(x,y)=>Text.Contains(y,x)))

Now, you will update/delete/add in these 2 tables only and queries will not need to be touched.

I have created an example in an Excel and uploaded to https://1drv.ms/x/s!Akd5y6ruJhvhug0s4OUNxC-itvnw?e=2J4cYM 

In that Excel - Data menu - Queries and connections - Click on any query to test the logic.

You may be prompted for for Security Warning that External data connections have bene disabled - Click Enable Content

johnt75
Super User
Super User

You could create 3 new queries, one per base table, by referencing the existing query. Remove all the columns except the customer column, append all 3 queries together and then remove duplicates.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors