Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apply a filter to data from Bigquery when navigating to the table

Hello,

I've connected to Bigquery using PowerQuery. When I try and connect to a table it's asking me to apply a filter on the date. 

DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [42000] [Microsoft][BigQuery] (70) Invalid query: Cannot query over table 'xxxxxx.3000.sales' without a filter over column(s) 'date' that can be used for partition elimination
Details:
    DataSourceKind=GoogleBigQuery
    DataSourcePath=GoogleBigQuery
    OdbcErrors=[Table]

basroozen_0-1611567590856.png

How should I edit this formula to include this date filter?

Best regards

Bas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
artemus
Employee
Employee

Right click Navigation in Applied Steps and choose "Insert Step after". Then add a custom step with a filter. E.g.

= Table.SelectRows(#"Previous Step", each [Merchant] = "testmerchant")

Replae #"Previous Step" with the text that is generated by default when you do "Insert Step After" .

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have similar issue.  After trying "Right click Navigation in Applied Steps and choose "Insert Step after", I could not see anything where I could add custom step with filter, but a item called "Custom1" created in "APPLIED STEPS".  If I right click on "Custom1", there is nothig I can edit!

Not sure what I missed.

Best regards,

Yong

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

Make sure you have the formula bar turned on. In PowerQuery go to VIEW and enable the checkbox for FORMULA BAR. You now see an extra bar where you can add the code.

Does that do the trick?

Regards

Bas

Anonymous
Not applicable

The issue I have is :

"DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [42000] [Microsoft][BigQuery] (70) Invalid query: Cannot query over table 'xxxxxxxxx.dtrk_daily_analytics' without a filter over column(s) '_PARTITION_LOAD_TIME', '_PARTITIONDATE', '_PARTITIONTIME' that can be used for partition elimination
Details:
DataSourceKind=GoogleBigQuery
DataSourcePath=GoogleBigQuery
OdbcErrors=[Table]"

None of  '_PARTITION_LOAD_TIME', '_PARTITIONDATE', '_PARTITIONTIME' are defined in actual Schema of BigQuery table.  But at the time of table creation, the table was configured as:

"Table type: Partitioned
Partitioned by: Day
Partitioned on field: _PARTITIONTIME 
Partition filter: Required"

So, not sure how to filter on them ('_PARTITION_LOAD_TIME', '_PARTITIONDATE', '_PARTITIONTIME') at Power BI side if adding a custom step.  Can I use SQL syntax in Formula Bar ?

On BigQuery side, to query the data it would be something like:

SELECT * FROM `xxxxxxxx.dtrk_daily_analytics` 
WHERE DATE(_PARTITIONTIME) = "2021-02-26" LIMIT 1000

Thanks,
Yong

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Bas, that did the trick!  Now I can see the Formula input. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Aaah it’s that easy 😊 Thank you very much @artemus , that was exactly what I was looking for!

Best regards

Bas

artemus
Employee
Employee

Right click Navigation in Applied Steps and choose "Insert Step after". Then add a custom step with a filter. E.g.

= Table.SelectRows(#"Previous Step", each [Merchant] = "testmerchant")

Replae #"Previous Step" with the text that is generated by default when you do "Insert Step After" .

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors