Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thomsog1
Frequent Visitor

Apply Power Query to all files within folder then append together

Hi All,

We had a Power BI report which read in a number of excel files and applied a variety of Power Query transformations to make the data legible for visualisations. This process made the report refreshes incredibly slow since everything was being done within it. Our plan was to migrate this to a dataflow to make the report refresh quicker since the transformations now happened outside the report and those refreshses could be scheduled.

However since then, the project scope has grown massively and now they are planning on uploading new data every week (until now it was a single excel file which was replaced weekly) into azure blob storage so instead of seeing a single snapshot of the data we can now provide week on week trends etc.

My question is, when a new excel file is uploaded to the blob storage each week (same structure just a different name which relates to the week e.g datestamp), run the transformations on the new excel file and append these results into what has already been processed? In my head I see the process being as follows:

1. New file uploaded

2. Scheduled refresh opens new file (based on date stamp or most recent date added information) 

3. A Power Query transformation runs to format the data (this same Power Query would run each week)

4. This newly formatted data is appended into a table with the previously processed data from the previous weeks excel files

5. Process repeats itself the following week

Is the above feasible (or indeed best practice)? If so does anyone have any ideas where to start or a more optimised approach?

I appreciate this is quite vague and we don't as yet have an example to show, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

You can refresh against the new file, but you'll need to refresh against all the files each time too.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply (And sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this!!)

Would this also be the case if we were to use incremental refresh, we have premium capacity so can utilise that.

My only concern is that with potentially a new file each week, this refresh will become quite long and potentially unstable in the long term.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors