Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

antalgu
Helper I
Helper I

Applied steps and refresh data

The problem I'm having is quite simple, I have an acces table with data in a certain path of the computer, and I have some applied steps that I used to work with that data. When I add data to the table and press "Refresh Preview" or "Refresh All" all data gets refreshed, but the applied steps don't apply to the new data. Am I missing any option? Do I have it manually? If it's manual isn't there any way to make it automatic?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

Applied steps do get applied. But be aware that the Refresh Preview and Refresh All steps in Power Query still often only give you a quick overview. So if you have 1,000,000 records, and add a record, there is a good chance in Power Query it will be tough to see that the steps applied to record 1,000,001. But when it loads to the model you'll see it there.

This is especially true if you are relying on the Column Distribution or Column Profile data. If that is the issue, look in the lower left corner if your screen, and you'll see something like this:

edhans_0-1601923997228.png

You can click on the "Column Profiling based on top 1000 rows" and change it to look at the full data set, be forwarned if you have tens of thousands or records it will get sluggish, and millions of records will cause you to wait 2-3 min between the application of new transformations.

Can you explain perhaps with images and a copy of your M code (from the Advanced Editor) why you think the new records are not being added. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
edhans
Super User
Super User

Applied steps do get applied. But be aware that the Refresh Preview and Refresh All steps in Power Query still often only give you a quick overview. So if you have 1,000,000 records, and add a record, there is a good chance in Power Query it will be tough to see that the steps applied to record 1,000,001. But when it loads to the model you'll see it there.

This is especially true if you are relying on the Column Distribution or Column Profile data. If that is the issue, look in the lower left corner if your screen, and you'll see something like this:

edhans_0-1601923997228.png

You can click on the "Column Profiling based on top 1000 rows" and change it to look at the full data set, be forwarned if you have tens of thousands or records it will get sluggish, and millions of records will cause you to wait 2-3 min between the application of new transformations.

Can you explain perhaps with images and a copy of your M code (from the Advanced Editor) why you think the new records are not being added. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors