Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Splush
Regular Visitor

Appending Tables in Direct Query Mode

Hello there,

So I know there is no way on appending tables in Power Query right now but there has to be some workaround at least for this specific case here. So Im working with messages that are passed along a hierachical Identifier (like CEO001DEP002CLUSTER005). Each and every message has one of those identifiers and an option field about how it is supposed to be shared (like "non-disclosing", "pass one level up", "pass one level down" and "pass on to all levels down").

Since all of these sharing options need to be filtered in a different way, I have created one table for each option. But all of these options have to go back in to the same table so the user can see all messages that are relevant. Since now I have tried it with anti-Joins, appending all tables together and having every sharing option as a seperate field in one table (but this will duplicate all other messages as soon as I extract the tables). All former lead to the query switching to import mode.

Is there any option on how to work around this? See the table diagram attached when this explanation was somehow stupid 😄

Problem.png

Thank you very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Splush
Regular Visitor

Okay, I finally got it to work. Its not completely live though and requires a filter to be changed or something in order to refresh:

So I kept all these tables and added a column with a table Identifier (A, B, C, ...) on the other hand I created a new Dataverse table with just these Identifiers and loaded it into my query. Now I just had to do a left-join and had all my tables loaded. Using a conditional column I was able to combine the resulting columns from the different tables into one for each type.

So now PowerBi at least shows this table as being live and the information is refreshing on a change of filter or refresh of the dashboard - it should be good for my usecase though

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Splush
Regular Visitor

Okay, I finally got it to work. Its not completely live though and requires a filter to be changed or something in order to refresh:

So I kept all these tables and added a column with a table Identifier (A, B, C, ...) on the other hand I created a new Dataverse table with just these Identifiers and loaded it into my query. Now I just had to do a left-join and had all my tables loaded. Using a conditional column I was able to combine the resulting columns from the different tables into one for each type.

So now PowerBi at least shows this table as being live and the information is refreshing on a change of filter or refresh of the dashboard - it should be good for my usecase though

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Splush ,

Sorry I'm not very clear about the logic of the above tables. How the Emitter value came from in the final table.

vkalyjmsft_0-1661741029439.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

Hey @v-yanjiang-msft ,

thank you so much for your response!

What I forgot to mention is that I use a list of all available identifiers as base for my tables. So I join all messages that this Identifier should have access to by the different sharing options. When I join the messages they contain their Identifier which I just rename as "Emitter"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors