Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

itsmebvk
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Analysis model to Power BI Dataset

Hi Experts,

I am trying to convert one Analysis Service model to Power BI Dataset. I followed following steps.

1. In visual studio opened AAS model
  2. Changed deployment server name to Powerbi Premium workspace  ( Used XMLA Endpoint)
  3. I have removed table partitions before I deploy it as I was thinking to refresh table in PBI service
  4. While publishing I got some deployment errors, I was able to resolve them by removing roles created in Analysis service
  5. After removing I was able to successfully publish Analysis model to Workspace

Now I have following questions if possible can some one please answer

1. Is there anyway we download the published dataset to local computer or do we have same restrictions as incremental refresh?
  2. How new table partitions will be created in powerbi service( While publishing I purged data and only deployed metadata) by refreshing Dataset will it creates partitions automatically or do we need to do any extra setup to get partitions?
  3. Are there any extra things I need to keep in mind while doing this migration?

Please share your experience and thoughts around it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @itsmebvk ,

There may be many reasons why it can no longer be downloaded. The following reasons may be related to the AAS data source.

25.png

For connecting to AS model, it's easier to connect from Power BI Desktop: Connect to Analysis Services tabular data in Power BI Desktop. There are also some common questions and answers in the document for your reference.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
id013
Helper V
Helper V

Hi,

So I wanted to ask you, why is it you wanted to switch from the SSAS data model to the power bi dataset? We're currently in the middle of transitioning as well and originally we were going to just migrate the SSAS models using a tool we had found using tabular editor. 

And the model itself looked fine in the Power BI Service. The refresh times looked decent, they're fairly large datasets and it didn't take longer than 30 mins to do a refresh. However, I also tried to recreate them in Power BI, ie basically create the model with no visual and the use that as my datasource. I'm finding these models while using the same native queries as the SSAS model are sometimes taking over an hour to refresh. So I've been trying to figure out why use one over the other? 

Thanks 

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @itsmebvk ,

Sorry to disturb you...

But did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Stephen Tao

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @itsmebvk ,

There may be many reasons why it can no longer be downloaded. The following reasons may be related to the AAS data source.

25.png

For connecting to AS model, it's easier to connect from Power BI Desktop: Connect to Analysis Services tabular data in Power BI Desktop. There are also some common questions and answers in the document for your reference.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @itsmebvk ,

1. An user can download the dataset by exporting the pbix file from PBI Service,

if he has edit rights for the specific report and your administrator has not turned off the export data feature.

For more informations about this feature, please read

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-export-to-pbix/

2.You can download the pbix and complete the operation in Power BI Desktop and republish to Power BI Service to replace the original pbix.

3.Please kindly refer to How to migrate Azure Analysis Services models to Power BI Premium.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-stephen-msft  Thanks for your inputs.

For point 1 and 2, once we convert AAS model to Dataset we are not getting option to download from workspace even I am an admin to that premium workspace with full rights.

Point 3: Yes I followed similar steps as mentioned in given link.

is there anything else needs to be done to download  AAD to workspace ( using XMLA) converted dataset  as PBI file?

Please suggest. Thank you.

itsmebvk
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@v-stephen-msft  Can you please suggest if there is any workaround?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors