Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

efroseroc
Helper I
Helper I

Advice managing dates

Hi thanks for reading.

I have 2 data sources which I need to relate through dates.

I  was wondering what were the disadvantages to instead of making a regular date table using the CALENDAR function for each day of the year,  adjusting both data sources date field to (Feb-21) for example, and  relating them through a table that has Jan-21, Feb 21.....

Is there any reason to not managing the dates this way?

Thanks again,

Best regards,

E.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

You need a true date table, not Jan-21, Feb-21, etc. I use this date table. It has a Month Year field that is Jan-21, Feb-21 that you can use in visuals, but the table is a true date table with all dates from start to finish in the Date[Date] field. This one starts Jan 1, 2016, but you can change the source line of it. Just paste the M code (full directions at the link) into a blank query. You then use the Month Year Sort field to sort it.

Then relate all fact tables to the Date[Date] field. Even if your fact tables dont' ahve a full date, make one in Power Query. If it is Jan-21, you can use the formula below to convert hat to Jan 1, 2021. Now you have a true date field to relate.

Date.FromText(Text.BeforeDelimiter([Column1],"-") & " 1, 20" & Text.AfterDelimiter([Column1],"-"))

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
edhans
Super User
Super User

You need a true date table, not Jan-21, Feb-21, etc. I use this date table. It has a Month Year field that is Jan-21, Feb-21 that you can use in visuals, but the table is a true date table with all dates from start to finish in the Date[Date] field. This one starts Jan 1, 2016, but you can change the source line of it. Just paste the M code (full directions at the link) into a blank query. You then use the Month Year Sort field to sort it.

Then relate all fact tables to the Date[Date] field. Even if your fact tables dont' ahve a full date, make one in Power Query. If it is Jan-21, you can use the formula below to convert hat to Jan 1, 2021. Now you have a true date field to relate.

Date.FromText(Text.BeforeDelimiter([Column1],"-") & " 1, 20" & Text.AfterDelimiter([Column1],"-"))

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors