Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adjust blank query based on environment

Hi,

I've added a blank query to my report to return a table of last refresh date/time. It appears that this query uses my local timezone (Central) to calculate this when running in PBI desktop, but when I publish to the service it is 5 hours ahead (I assume GMT). Since I want my reports in the service to display in Central time, how do I run this query in the desktop:

let
Source = #table(type table[LastRefresh=datetime], {{DateTime.LocalNow()}})
in
Source

and this in the service:

let
Source = #table(type table[LastRefresh=datetime], {{DateTime.LocalNow()+#duration(0,-5,0,0)}})
in
Source

or is there a better way to accomplish the same thing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

Use the following code in a blank query to adjust to your local time zone:

let
  Source = DateTimeZone.SwitchZone(DateTimeZone.LocalNow(),-5 + varDST,0),
  #"Converted to Table" = #table(1, {{Source}}),
  #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Converted to Table",{{"Column1", "RefreshDate"}}),
  #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"RefreshDate", type datetimezone}})
in
  #"Changed Type"

The key is using the datetimezone feature.

Now it can still be off for daylight savings. If you don't care, remove the +varDST in the source line.

if you do care about DST, then you need to do 2 more things:

1) create a new table that has your DST stettings. I have this table in our SQL server.

dtDSTStartdtDSTEnd

3/12/201711/5/2017
3/11/201811/4/2018
3/10/201911/3/2019
3/8/202011/1/2020
3/14/202111/7/2021
3/13/202211/6/2022

This is the start/end date for DST in the US right now.

2) Then create another blank query and call it "varDST" with the following code:

let
    Source = tblDaylightSavings,
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [dtDSTStart] <= DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow()) and [dtDSTEnd] > DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow())),
    #"Counted Rows" = Table.RowCount(#"Filtered Rows")
in
    #"Counted Rows"

You can put this table anywhere. Sharepoint List, SQL server, Excel, wherever. It just counts the rows that have dates between the start/end date. It is either 1 (DST in effect) or 0, (not in DST) so it adds 1 or 0 hrs to your refresh timestamp above.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
edhans
Super User
Super User

Use the following code in a blank query to adjust to your local time zone:

let
  Source = DateTimeZone.SwitchZone(DateTimeZone.LocalNow(),-5 + varDST,0),
  #"Converted to Table" = #table(1, {{Source}}),
  #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Converted to Table",{{"Column1", "RefreshDate"}}),
  #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"RefreshDate", type datetimezone}})
in
  #"Changed Type"

The key is using the datetimezone feature.

Now it can still be off for daylight savings. If you don't care, remove the +varDST in the source line.

if you do care about DST, then you need to do 2 more things:

1) create a new table that has your DST stettings. I have this table in our SQL server.

dtDSTStartdtDSTEnd

3/12/201711/5/2017
3/11/201811/4/2018
3/10/201911/3/2019
3/8/202011/1/2020
3/14/202111/7/2021
3/13/202211/6/2022

This is the start/end date for DST in the US right now.

2) Then create another blank query and call it "varDST" with the following code:

let
    Source = tblDaylightSavings,
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [dtDSTStart] <= DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow()) and [dtDSTEnd] > DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow())),
    #"Counted Rows" = Table.RowCount(#"Filtered Rows")
in
    #"Counted Rows"

You can put this table anywhere. Sharepoint List, SQL server, Excel, wherever. It just counts the rows that have dates between the start/end date. It is either 1 (DST in effect) or 0, (not in DST) so it adds 1 or 0 hrs to your refresh timestamp above.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Anonymous
Not applicable

Worked perfectly, thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors