Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TonyMcA
Frequent Visitor

Adding in new tables from same datasource

Hi,

I've had an existing Powerr BI dataset/reports/dashboard working fine.

Then I've wanted to add in some tables from an existing datasource that I didn't include first time around, So I've added another Get to the same datasource and picked the tables I missed first time. I don't know if this is a valid approach - it seems to work but someties data refreshes are failing (but not on the original dataset) and wonder if there is an issue with calling it twice.

Is there a way of adding in the table to the exisitng call without re-calling the datasource?

Does it matter?

For info - I'm calling the Project Online ODATA link and wantng to use assignment tables that I did not include in my original dataset.

Regards, Tony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You should be able to use the Advanced Editor in Power Query to add in your tables to your original query if you are doing some joins and such between tables. However, generally when you connect to a data source and add multiple tables, each table becomes its own query, so connecting to it again and selecting different tables would end up the same as if you had selected those tables when you originally connected. I guess it depends on your use case. But, if you edit your queries and each table is its own query, then it shouldn't matter at all.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Yasir

An easy way

Let's assume:

The name of your current Appended Query is AQ1. New Table to be appended is NT1

Make a new query-"connection only" for NT1

Append the NT1's query with AQ1.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You should be able to use the Advanced Editor in Power Query to add in your tables to your original query if you are doing some joins and such between tables. However, generally when you connect to a data source and add multiple tables, each table becomes its own query, so connecting to it again and selecting different tables would end up the same as if you had selected those tables when you originally connected. I guess it depends on your use case. But, if you edit your queries and each table is its own query, then it shouldn't matter at all.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like it was the size of the data table was giving me the issues - made it smaller and works fine,

Ludia
Frequent Visitor

Hi, Tony

I got a similar issue with you, because connecting the source several times, and i got a performance issue, can you tell me more about your solution on making the size smaller of the data table? thanks a lot 

Ludia

TonyMcA
Frequent Visitor

Hi Ludia,

Interesting - in the end connecting to the datasource multiple times was not the issue, but the size of the datasource was.

In my case, I was able to reduce the data within the original datasource as some of the data was not needed and I had some control over the input that was generating the large datasource.

I suspect in many case this may not be feasible option, but good luck!

Tony

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors