Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kspicer

Added 2 calculated columns in Excel data source for Power BI report

Hi, I added 2 calculated columns to my Excel data source for a Power BI report.  In Power BI, when I "Refresh" or "Get Data (to overwrite existing)", the 2 new columns are not showing up in Power BI.  Any ideas why?  Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@kspicer,

Could you please describe more details about your scenario? Do you connect to the Excel file in Power BI Service or Power BI Desktop and what specific connection option do you use?

Besides, do you use Power Query option in Excel to connect to other data source and create calculated columns? Would you please share sample data and screenshot about the calculated columns so that I can repro?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I connect to the Excel file in Power BI Desktop using the “Get Data > Web > Document SharePoint link (when prompted, access “by Organization)”.

I don’t use the Power Query option in Excel, I basically just use the “Sort Column” functionality to denote which columns are to be used as data.

It’s weird because the 2 added columns show up in the Power BI report for the first Excel tab/table (because after adding the 2 columns to the first Excel tab, I tested the “get data” function into the Power BI report, and it worked). But when I went back to Excel and added the 2 columns to the remaining tabs/tables in Excel, upon my attempts to “Refresh” or “Get Data” in Power BI, the 2 columns for the remaining tables would not show up in Power BI.

Also, I tried to add screenshots, but the interface rejected them.  I'll try again if you like.  Thanks!

forum1.pngforum2.png

@kspicer,

I test the scenario as yours and unable to reproduce this issue. Do you click Refresh preview in Power BI Desktop?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors