Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

keenanto
Regular Visitor

AddIndexColumn based on unique values in columns

Hi All

I have the following table and I want to add a new column which counts the number of different car models that a salespersons sells in each branch. So Tom sells only Ford in the New York branch so the unique car count is 1. Joan sells Ford so her unique car count is 1 and after she sells Toyota, the unique car count changes to 2 and remains at 2 until another unique car is sold. The count will then revert to 1 when moved on to the next salesperson or the next State. 

StateSalesPersonCarDateTimeUniqueCarCount
New YorkTomFord20/07/2022 07:07:36        1
New YorkTomFord20/07/2022 08:58:28        1
New YorkTomFord20/07/2022 09:56:08        1
New YorkTomFord20/07/2022 10:57:56        1
New YorkJoanFord20/07/2022 07:07:36        1
New YorkJoanToyota20/07/2022 08:30:38        2
New YorkJoanFord20/07/2022 08:58:28        2
New YorkJoanFord20/07/2022 09:56:08        2
New YorkJoanToyota20/07/2022 10:57:56        2
New YorkSteveToyota20/07/2022 08:58:28        1
New YorkSteveFord20/07/2022 09:56:08        2
New YorkSteveRenault20/07/2022 10:57:56        3
FloridaTomToyota20/07/2022 09:56:08        1
FloridaTomToyota20/07/2022 10:57:56        1

I've tried adding a new custom column with the AddIndexColumn but I cannot get the logic right to get the result I want. If anyone has any ideas, I'd really like to hear them! 

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

NewStep= Table.FromRecords(List.Accumulate(Table.ToRecords(PreviousStepName),{{},[]},(x,y)=>let a=Text.Format("#[State]-#[SalesPerson]",y),b=Record.TransformFields(x{1},{a,each List.Distinct((_??{})&{y[Car]})},2) in {x{0}&{y&[UniqueCarCount=List.NonNullCount(Record.Field(b,a))]},b}){0})

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

NewStep= Table.FromRecords(List.Accumulate(Table.ToRecords(PreviousStepName),{{},[]},(x,y)=>let a=Text.Format("#[State]-#[SalesPerson]",y),b=Record.TransformFields(x{1},{a,each List.Distinct((_??{})&{y[Car]})},2) in {x{0}&{y&[UniqueCarCount=List.NonNullCount(Record.Field(b,a))]},b}){0})

That's it, it works perfectly when i add this step. Thank you very much

keenanto
Regular Visitor

Thank you for the quick reply Artur. 

I pasted this code below into advanced editor. It appears to be fine in Advanced Editor with no Syntax errors detected. But when i click ok and it brings me back out to the Power Query Editor, I get this error...

Expression.Error: The import PromotedHeaders matches no exports. Did you miss a module reference?

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table14"]}[Content],
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
     BuffZipList1 = List.Buffer(List.Zip({PromotedHeaders[State],PromotedHeaders[SalesPerson],PromotedHeaders[Car]})),
  #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(PromotedHeaders, "UniqueCarsSold", each List.Count(List.Distinct(List.Transform(List.Select(BuffZipList1, (x)=>x{0}=[State] and x{1}=[SalesPerson]), each _{2}))))

in
    #"Added Custom"

Hi all,

I think this is down to taste preferences, but I would prefer using GroupBy, theoretically this would be less scans through the dataset, but I did not test it.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8kstV4jML8pW0lEKyc8Fkm75RSlAyshA38Bc38jAyEjBwNwKiIzNgKIKUGCoFKtDnF4LK1MLKyMLsvRaWpmaWRmQpdfQwMrUHKgdn16v/MQ8sj0M1RySX5lfkojhZ2MDK2NkdxsRbzdmgJGgGTPEcGnG5nAsgYahPbgktSwVt8cJRjZMP3mOh+kOSs1LLM0pIeh8Y7ABbjn5RZkpifDkgtXtuBIbMZqxp7ZYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [State = _t, SalesPerson = _t, Car = _t, DateTime = _t, UniqueCarCount = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"State", type text}, {"SalesPerson", type text}, {"Car", type text}, {"DateTime", type datetime}, {"UniqueCarCount", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"State", "SalesPerson"}, {{"Data", each _, Value.Type(#"Changed Type")}, {"Count", each List.Count(List.Distinct(_[Car])), Int64.Type}}),
    #"Expanded Data" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Data", {"Car", "DateTime", "UniqueCarCount"}, {"Car", "DateTime", "UniqueCarCount"})
in
    #"Expanded Data"

Kind regards,

John

Hi @keenanto,

in line 2 you have a step called #"Promoted Headers". But in line 3 you refer to it as PromotedHeaders. Change it in either place to match. It should resolve the problem.

Cheers,

John  

artpil
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi,

Here's the code that counts distinct cars by sales person in a state.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("lZHNCoMwEIRfRXIWTCP+NNeKhx5KqV6KeAi4B6m6ENOWvn33UNtSjaQQNiSZj5khVcUKowwwnxWqg/EIesSBTjulaWb0VLY9sNqv2AHu3hn1he5L7GnmqBvaBA94EgguhMcTSSuMnfWpjFIpUmf9Vkax5M76DZdRQsivfo9q+KvACyjxgUbNOoRchrNMdg9LaTtgab0Syla8MHADe5HFXBPjHmwiTjCoa2dWouUd6rZR7y9czPXt4gJ8HOon", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t, Column3 = _t, Column4 = _t]),
    PromotedHeaders = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    BuffZipList1 = List.Buffer(List.Zip({PromotedHeaders[State],PromotedHeaders[SalesPerson],PromotedHeaders[Car]})),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(PromotedHeaders, "UniqueCarsSold", each List.Count(List.Distinct(List.Transform(List.Select(BuffZipList1, (x)=>x{0}=[State] and x{1}=[SalesPerson]), each _{2}))))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Paste the code to advanced editor.

What the code does:

in step BuffZipList1 list of lists based on columns State, SalesPerson and Car is being created,

in step #"Added Custom" first is filtered ( List.Select statement), then list is truncated to unique values and finally items are being counted.

Hope this helps.

Artur

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors