Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MiKeZZa
Post Patron
Post Patron

Add timecolumn to another timecolumn

I have a pbix file with 2 timecolumns coming from a CSV; 1 is a fixed value for the whole CSV (let's say 15:00:00) and the second column is chanching for every row (let's say; 00:00:01, 00:00:01, 00:00:01, 00:00:02, 00:00:02, 00:00:03, 00:00:03, 00:00:03, 00:00:03, 00:00:03......). Now I want to create a combined column which gives these output: 15:00:01, 15:00:01, 15:00:01, 15:00:02, 15:00:02, 15:00:03, 15:00:03, 15:00:03, 15:00:03, 15:00:03.

Can somebody give me a hint about what to do?

I've been trying so many things:

- using duration function (but couldn't get it done with a variable amount of seconds

- converting time to number

- converting time to text/string and stripping it and calculating the amount of hours, minutes and seconds

- adding a date to the first time to make it possible to use and so on

Everything is hard or gives problems. But I'm pretty sure it must be possible and not really hard. Somebody has a tip for me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

time is basically a fraction between 0 and 1 (24h)

try changing the type while adding a new step:

1) first from time to decimal

2) from decimal to duration

similar to this

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjS1MjAAIiUdJTANYsbqYBM3xCFuRKK4qVJsLAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type time}, {"Column2", type time}}),
    #"Changed Type to decimal" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type",{{"Column2", type number}}),
    #"Changed Type to duration" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type to decimal",{{"Column2", type duration}})
in
    #"Changed Type to duration"
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thank you for the kudos 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MiKeZZa
Post Patron
Post Patron

Hi @v-frfei-msft and @Stachu ,

That doesn't work. It gives this error:

DataFormat.Error: Can't convert to duration.
Details:
00:00:00

So the problem is (I think) that you have a different format. I do have 00:00:00 and you do have 0.00:00:00... But I can't change it right now I guess?

Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

time is basically a fraction between 0 and 1 (24h)

try changing the type while adding a new step:

1) first from time to decimal

2) from decimal to duration

similar to this

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjS1MjAAIiUdJTANYsbqYBM3xCFuRKK4qVJsLAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type time}, {"Column2", type time}}),
    #"Changed Type to decimal" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type",{{"Column2", type number}}),
    #"Changed Type to duration" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type to decimal",{{"Column2", type duration}})
in
    #"Changed Type to duration"

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Yes, that's the trick. Great!

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MiKeZZa ,

As @Stachu  said, you should change the data type to durition. Here I made a sample for your reference, please check the M code as below.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjS1MjAAIiUdJTBtZWCoFBsLAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column2", type duration}, {"Column1", type duration}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each [Column1]+[Column2])
in
    #"Added Custom"

time.PNG

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

can you change the second column to data type Duration and then add the 2 columns?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors