Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Moof
Frequent Visitor

Active Directory hierarchy - getting all users inside a group including child groups

Hi,

I've been playing around with Active Directory as a data source on PowerBI for a while, trying to make reports.

One report I'm interested in is "Users in the Administrators Group"

My Administrators group has a number of users in it, as well as a Group - Domain Admins.

Domain Admins itself has a group in it too - Security administrators.

I'm trying to navigate the tree somehow either in M or DAX so that I can get a list of "In the Administrators Group, all the users are x, y, and z" where x is in Administrators, y is in Domain Admins, and z is in Security Administrators.

I've been thinking about seeing if I can get a list of "this group is a member of this group" (which I can do using top.memberOf) but I can't seem to work out how to navigate from Security Admins to Administrators, so I can see that Security Admins is a member of Domain admins and Administrators.

If I could do that, from there I could just say that since user z is in Security Administrators, it's also in Domain Administrators and Administrators. 

I'm specifically trying to find a generic solution here, rather than hard coding my tree into the programme.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? How do I do this sort of recursive query in M/DAX?

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Moof,

Please help to post sample data of your tables and post expected result  based on sample data here.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Or, placing it a different way...

I have a hierachy of groups in ActiveDirectory, and a bunch of users that belong to those groups.

Security Administrators is a member of Domain Admins which is a member of Administrators. Each of these groups has users in it. I want to filter by group Administrators, and get users from all the subgroups.

Essentially, using sample date, the result I'm looking for is:

Sample result.png

The code I'm using to get there is as follows:

let
    Source = ActiveDirectory.Domains("lapsang.example"),
    lapsang.example = Source{[Domain="lapsang.example"]}[#"Object Categories"],
    user1 = lapsang.example{[Category="user"]}[Objects],
    #"Expanded top" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(user1, "top", {"cn", "memberOf"}, {"top.cn", "top.memberOf"}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Expanded top",{"top.cn", "top.memberOf", "distinguishedName"}),
    #"Expanded top.memberOf" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "top.memberOf"),
    #"Expanded top.memberOf1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded top.memberOf", "top.memberOf", {"distinguishedName", "memberOf"}, {"top.memberOf.distinguishedName", "top.memberOf.memberOf"}),
    #"Reordered Columns1" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Expanded top.memberOf1",{"top.cn", "distinguishedName", "top.memberOf.distinguishedName", "top.memberOf.memberOf"}),
    #"Expanded top.memberOf.memberOf" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Reordered Columns1", "top.memberOf.memberOf"),
    #"Expanded top.memberOf.memberOf1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded top.memberOf.memberOf", "top.memberOf.memberOf", {"distinguishedName", "memberOf"}, {"top.memberOf.memberOf.distinguishedName", "top.memberOf.memberOf.memberOf"}),
    #"Expanded top.memberOf.memberOf.memberOf" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expanded top.memberOf.memberOf1", "top.memberOf.memberOf.memberOf"),
    #"Expanded top.memberOf.memberOf.memberOf1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded top.memberOf.memberOf.memberOf", "top.memberOf.memberOf.memberOf", {"distinguishedName", "memberOf"}, {"top.memberOf.memberOf.memberOf.distinguishedName", "top.memberOf.memberOf.memberOf.memberOf"}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Expanded top.memberOf.memberOf.memberOf1", {"top.cn", "distinguishedName", "top.memberOf.memberOf.memberOf.memberOf"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Unpivoted Columns", {"top.cn", "distinguishedName", "Value"}, {{"Count", each Table.RowCount(_), type number}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Grouped Rows",{{"Value", "InGroup"}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Renamed Columns",{"Count"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Now, as you can see, I've used Table.ExpandListColumn, and Table.ExpandRecordColumn several times there, and I can't guarantee that if I query a different AD that I'll have managed to get all the levels of expanding. 

Is there a way to recurse through the table, such that it does that as many times as neccesary, and then leaves an unpivoted result?

Hi! I have the same question. Do you have some update?

OK, it's taken me a little while to sort out a test environment.

I have set up a fresh AD domain. The Built-in Administrators group has the following:

Administrators Group.png

And then I populated the hierarchy as follows:

Domain Admins GroupDomain Admins GroupSecurity Administrators GroupSecurity Administrators Group

As you can see, a fairly simple hierarchy.

I am trying to set up an audit screen that shows the members of a group, including any sub groups that are in the group. So if I were to filter by the group Administrators, I get the following expected result for users:

• lapsangadmin
  • Siuan Sanche (admin)
  • Lean Sharif (admin)

So now I enter Power BI and use the AD connector to Users. This gives me a rather difficult to deal with table:

Unedited Users QueryUnedited Users Query

When I filter it a bit, and expand the "top" column I get:

Users first filter.png

Again, I expand those lists into separate rows, and expand the records, and I get...

Users expanded.png

The code I use to get there is:

let
    #"Expanded top" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(user1, "top", {"cn", "memberOf"}, {"top.cn", "top.memberOf"}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Expanded top",{"top.cn", "top.memberOf", "distinguishedName"}),
    #"Expanded top.memberOf" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "top.memberOf"),
    #"Expanded top.memberOf1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded top.memberOf", "top.memberOf", {"distinguishedName"}, {"top.memberOf.distinguishedName"}),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Expanded top.memberOf1",{"top.cn", "distinguishedName", "top.memberOf.distinguishedName"})
in
    #"Reordered Columns"

with this, I can tell that lapsangadmin is in Administrators and Domain Admins, that Siuan Sanche (admin) is in Domain Admins and that Leane Sharif (admin) is in Security Admins.

But I can't filter by Administrators and get all three.

So I start to look at the group object instead, which is an equally unappetising initial query:

Groups unfiltered.png

In top, there is again a "memberOf" column, which has a list of other records:

Groups first filter.png

And again, expanding that gives me:

Groups expanded.png

The code I use to get here is:

let
    #"Expanded top.memberOf1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded top.memberOf", "top.memberOf", {"distinguishedName"}, {"top.memberOf.distinguishedName"}),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Expanded top.memberOf1",{"top.cn", "distinguishedName", "top.memberOf.distinguishedName"})
in
    #"Reordered Columns"

So this is where I'm stuck. 

Eventually, I could just keep expanding memberOf until I run out of things, and then unpivot the resulting distinguishedName columns into one. The thing is, I'm trying to make this a generic solution that doesn't need to know how many times to expand, because whilst in this test case, I only have a simple hierarchy like this, in some of the Active Directories I deal with this hierarchy may go up to 6 or 8 groups deep.

So I suppose I'm asking: how do I do this sort of recursion in M, such that I can get a table of all the parents a group may have, withough needing to do it a specific number of times?

I suppose I'm trying to get a table like this:

GroupContained in
AdministratorsAdministrators
Security AdministratorsSecurity Administrators
Security AdministratorsDomain Admins
Security AdministratorsAdministrators
Domain AdminsDomain Admins
Domain AdminsAdministrators

...and so on

From there, I can link my users to that Group Column, and then filter by a summary of the Contained In Column.

Any hints gratefully appreciated...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors