Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mobcdi
Helper I
Helper I

Active Directory connection and how it relates to view from ldp.exe

I'm trying to query active directory to retrieve a number of custom attributes added to AD that I can view in ldp.exe but I'm having trouble locating them when I use the Active Directory Power BI connector.

The list of users in stored in a particular OU but how do OU's and Base DN's relate to the way Power BI queries AD?

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mobcdi,

Have you try query in distinguishedName of AD with required OU unit kike this,

Please see only Blue squire query to get required OU's.

I have try playing with this columns.

AD.png

Hope this helps 

Vishal Pawar

BI Solution Architect 

Hi Vishal,

That would get me to the OU but similarly to your image I don't get all the attributes (columns) for the users. In your image you have 17 columns, I get 18 but using ldp.exe I can view over 50 attributes / columns / dimensions for each CN for example in my PowerBI data I can't see the attribute givenName or company

Edit:

In the user view there are a number of columns with "Record" and if I right click I can drill down or create a new query from. If I choose msExchCustomAtrributes and click record I can see the attributes I need to query for but thats just 1 record i.e 1 specifc user not all the users who share the OU I filtered for earlier

Forgive my newness to PowerBI. I was able to expand the column msExchCustomAttributes to select the additional attributes it contained. I was used to the icon PowerBIIconSmall.png beside the column name being just to filter values like in excel.

Thanks to all for the help

A huge thanks for helping me find that needle in the haystack.   There's so many tables and sub-tables it's easy to miss.  I'm sure there's a reference out there somewhere for this, but I haven't been able to locate it yet.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Is this in Power BI Desktop?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Yes, The latest version of Desktop downloaded today. The ldp.exe tool is a MS tool from Windows 2003 https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772839(v=ws.10).aspx but still works or you could use adsiedit.msc but you end up with a folder tree of OU's which you can expand to find the 1 you want and list the properties

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors