Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jame1212

Access Database in Power BI Online

Hello,

for a company I want to develop a dashboard based on a MS-Access database I built.

On my PC I can import the data by using "Power BI for Desktop" - "Start" - "Load data" - "Other" - "MS-Access".

However on https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/getdata// I am not sure which source to use. I suggested data, but I can only upload Excel-files, not an Access database.

What do I have to do? Databases and more? But which one?

Kind regards

Jannik Meerkamp

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Jame1212,

We are not able to directly import data from Access database to Power BI Online Service.

However, you can connect to Access database from Power BI Desktop by using “Get data>More>Database>Access database” option, create reports in it and save the Power BI Desktop(PBIX) file. You can then publish the PBIX file to Power BI Online service or connect to the PBIX file via “Get data>Files” option of Power BI Online Service, this way, you are able to develop a dashboard based on the MS-Access database.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
drgrd13
Helper I
Helper I

Hi

Even i am facing the same issue. If anyone has the solution to help on this topic. getting error message as below. i have tried to follow the steps as per its documentation but still no luck . I am facing issue while refreshing the database. 

Underlying error code: -2147467259
Underlying error message: Microsoft Access: The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine. The 64-bit version of the Access Database Engine OLEDB provider may be required to read 'xxxxxx.accdb'. To download the client software, visit the following site: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=285987.
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult: -2147467259
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason: DataSource.NotFound
Cluster URI: WABI-US-NORTH-CENTRAL-B-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 713f9574-c123-4075-abba-e7c74545a8db
Request ID: 04d77b35-c619-f28f-f4f6-79b1771cc285
Time: 2022-06-28 12:02:37Z

Power bi service can not load Access DB with out driver. For that you have to gateway where Access driver is installed. Simply if you are able to open the access db file then use that systeam for personal/standrd gateway for this purpost or install only Access DB driver on system DNS. 

alifazal
Helper I
Helper I

Similar issue here but with ODBC, I can connect to my database successfully, however when I try to expand the file to view my tables it keeps loading without showing me an error just stays on the same screen..any  help would be appreciated here 🙂 

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Jame1212,

We are not able to directly import data from Access database to Power BI Online Service.

However, you can connect to Access database from Power BI Desktop by using “Get data>More>Database>Access database” option, create reports in it and save the Power BI Desktop(PBIX) file. You can then publish the PBIX file to Power BI Online service or connect to the PBIX file via “Get data>Files” option of Power BI Online Service, this way, you are able to develop a dashboard based on the MS-Access database.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @v-yuezhe-msft - thanks for the suggestion.

If you load data from the Access Database in Power BI desktop, then publish the PBIX file to Power BI service, will Service be able to refresh the dataset on a schedule?

Thanks for describing that useful workaround.

For the following connection methods:

A) import (embedded offline use),

B) refreshable connection (import and scheduled or manual refresh), and/or

C) live/direct query support

Which of the above connection method(s) are supported in each of the following cases?

1) Use from Power BI Desktop app

2) Setup of connection from within Power BI Service (and/or Power BI Report Server?)

4) .pbix imported into Power BI Service (and/or Report Server?)

5) Installed Gateway connected to Access DB (for use from Desktop, Service, Report Server, and/or Mobile Apps?)

6) Mobile Apps (connecting to Gateway directly, to Service, or to .pbix on OneDrive, if possible?)

Also, what, if any, further enhancements for Microosft Access support are under development now or planned?

Thanks again for your help,

Dan

I am trying to connect to Access database from Power BI but it keeps loading the data(screen keeps blinking) and then it stops responding. is it because data is huge?

what could be the reason?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I added the filter in MS access and saved which would send only filtered data to Power BI, once done with report development then removed the MS access filters and loaded all while publishing, you can also use top 100 records.  There is no direct query option for MS access as source hence this should be used as import only.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI service cannot refresh my dataset , which is Access DB in OneDrive, it gives the following error :

Microsoft Access: The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine. The 64-bit version of the Access Database Engine 2010 Access Database Engine OLEDB provider may be required to read...

When I refresh my local pbi file, it doesnt give me this error as I already have database engine installed. But Power BI service cannot read my database in OneDrive,  anyone knows why ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors