Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

clintgrove
Regular Visitor

32 Bit power bi desktop: DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application

HI. I am trying to connect Sage 50 Canada to the online services. I have figured out that I need 32 bit Power BI desktop in order to create a succesful connection between Power BI desktop and the ODBC connection for Sage 50 CA, which is in 32 bit. Everything works well until I publish it to the online service where it gives me an ODBC credential error. I fear this has to do with 64bit vs 32bit. Can anyone point me to a solution, I have tried to put credetional strings into the data source settings.

I had the same problems (same errors) when I had the power BI desktop 64 bit installed. I fear the personal gateway is trying to talk to my ODBC connection in 64 bit language, do you think my assumption is right?

data source settings.JPG

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is an idea here :

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/17754658-provide-full-personal-ga...

Please go vote for it so they start working on it.

Thank you

IoanCosmin
Helper III
Helper III

Hello,

I have the exact same problem. 

Power BI Desktop 32bit

ODBC Driver 32bit

On-Premise Gateway: 64bit? is there a 32bit version?

Can someone recommend I solution wihout having to setup a 64 ODBC DSN and reinstall the 64bit version of Power BI. I want to stick to 32bit everything. There's no way to refresh my report online and that's quite sad. This is what I get when I try to add a new data source in my online workspace:

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to dsn=hrsxRDS_db. Details: "Cannot connect to the mashup data source. See error details for more information."Hide details
Activity ID:
f03b5856-5c9b-4079-97aa-a066cb3a7716
Request ID:
7aef0800-0f17-fd9c-5230-ff935e4b877f
Cluster URI:
https://wabi-us-north-central-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Status code:
Error Code:
DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError
Time:
Wed Mar 15 2017 15:46:54 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Version:
Underlying error code:
Underlying error message:
ODBC: ERROR [IM014] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] The specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult:
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourceKind:
Odbc

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @clintgrove,

In your scenario, after you publish the report to Power BI Service and it prompts you ODBC credential error, the issue is caused that the data source credential is not configured when you use personal gateway. You need to go to Settings->Datasets->Data source credentials to enter valid credential.

q4.PNG

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Qiuyun, thanks for the reply. I have tried this with the correct credetials and still no luck. See this screenshot

error cred.JPG

Hi @clintgrove,

After some research, I found both personal gateway and on-premises data gateway are 64 bit. So the issue can be that the gateway is 64 bit while ODBC driver is 32bit which is not match.

In this scenario, you can create a DSN within ODBC Data Sources (64 bit) under Administrative Tools, create a report use Power BI Desktop 64 bit and this ODBC data source. Then publish the report to service, enter credential for the dataset when you use personal gateway to build connection.

Besides, you can also try to create a ODBC data source under on-premises data gateway, then configure the dataset use this gateway.

q1.PNG

q2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, nope still no luck. I can't connect to a 32 bit ODBC from my gateway data connection set up on the online services. I don't think that the gateway which is 64 bit is going to talk to a 32 bit guy

Hi @clintgrove,

As mentioned in my original reply, you need to use data gateway connect to ODBC 64 bit data source.

"In this scenario, you can create a DSN within ODBC Data Sources (64 bit) under Administrative Tools, create a report use Power BI Desktop 64 bit and this ODBC data source. Then publish the report to service, enter credential for the dataset when you use personal gateway to build connection."

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

HI Qiuyun_Yu

Unfortunately I cannot create a 64bit to the Sage 50 CA database. There is some architecture there which I am not knowledgable enough about to get around. So basically, I can get Sage 50 CA to work nicely with Power BI desktop 32 bit installation, and the two can talk nicely. Its the online services working through the 64 bit gateway that messes me up. 

Unless Power BI create a 32 bit gateway then they are missing out on a potential stream of customers who cannot avoid being on a 32 bit ODBC

Hi,

I am trying to setup my Gateway for on-premise to connect via ODBC.  My Progress database uses 32-bit ODBC drivers and I have the 32-bit version of Power BI Desktop installed on my server.  I have discovered problems trying to setup the ODBC data source with my connection string not being accepted showing error 'The 'Driver' property with value doesn't correspond to an installed ODBC driver. DataSource.MissingClientLibrary'

My connection string is DRIVER={Progress OpenEdge 10.1B driver};HOST=xxx;PORT=xxx;DB=xxx;DIL=READ UNCOMMITTED

I am unsure if my connection problems are related to a mismatch with my 32-bit driver that I am using?

Regards,
Chris

Hi all,

I am having the same issue (32 bit ODBC Driver works perfectly with 32 Power BI Desktop) but fails when trying to migrate into Power BI online service. It gives me the same credential error despite entering the correct credentials for the datasource.

Has anyone found a solution or a work-around?

Thanks,

Matt

Hi all,

I am encountering the same issue for my database as well. Took awhile to figure out that my ODBC driver was 32 bit and that I needed the 32 bit version of Power BI. With that resolved, I am able pull data from my database via the ODBC Driver into Power BI desktop very easily. However, as I move into from Power BI desktop into the Power BI online service, I can no longer refresh my dataset as it gives me a credential error despite entering the correct credentials for the datasource.

Has anyone found a solution to this issue?

Thanks,

Matt

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors