Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Frixel
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

what do I need to share Power Bi Dashboard and reports with colleagues

Hello,

I made a dashboard and reports with power Bi and want to share it with colleagues.
If colleagues have installed the power Bi app on their phone and want to view the shared reports and dashboard, the app indicates that you need the power Bi PRO version to view shared files.
However, I cannot find a power Bi PRO version in the app store.
How does this work?
And do I have to have a power Bi PRO version to make them? (I now make them online in https://app.powerbi.com/ via company account)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Frixel,

Yes, the same applies in the App: from where you share doesn't really matter, unless you have Power BI Premium Capacity, everyone needs a Pro license.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Frixel,

Power BI Pro is a license you (or your IT-department) have to buy (you can redirect them here). Once you have this Pro license assigned you can publish reports and share them with colleagues (who also need a Pro license).

Furthermore, I would recommend downloading Power BI Desktop (free) and use that to develop reports.

@nickyvv 

Yes,i make the reports with the desktop version and then do "publish" to convert to the "online version".
I will turn it into a dashboard and share it with colleagues.

Is that the right way to work?

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ah that's great, that is indeed the best practice.
And instead of publishing it to your own "My workspace", you should also consider creating a separate workspace (or let IT create it, depending on your access rights) for that and give users access to it.

@nickyvv 

Aand then I share from my workspace, but always everyone needs a PRO licence?

If users then also have access to that workspace, can they also make reports there or just watch?

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Frixel,

From where you share doesn't really matter, unless you have Power BI Premium Capacity, everyone needs a Pro license.

But sharing from a shared workspace is better with regards to:

• maintenance of the report, you can share it with someone else. Or if you leave someone else can pick it up
  • sharing and accessing the report can be done centrally via the (shared) workspace

About the access, depending on the needs you can give users different roles in the workspace, being Admin, Member, Contributor or Viewer.

Or you could publish an App from the shared workspace to the end users. In an App you can decide what content to share and this has read-access by default.

@nickyvv 

okay i get it i guess.
And for that app for end users. Do they still need a PRO version?

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Frixel,

Yes, the same applies in the App: from where you share doesn't really matter, unless you have Power BI Premium Capacity, everyone needs a Pro license.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors