Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to Load Edit Screen After Selecting Edit of Power App Embedded into Power BI

Hello,

I have a Power App that is embedded into a Power BI report that I'm unable to load the Edit screen for in order to add new forms, update text-boxes, add buttons, etc. Below are the steps that I'm following with screenshots:

1.) When I open the Power BI report, I select "Edit" from the ellipsis button of the Power App that is embedded. The below screenshot shows a window pop-up which is establishing a session to open the Power App itself(edit mode) within the Power App service through the Internet Browser.

PowerBIEmbbededPowerApp-SessionScreen.PNG

2.) I click "Ok" in the above screenshot and a Internet Browser window opens, as expected, and attempts to load the Power App that I'm trying to edit. The below screenshot shows what's happening while the Power App, that I'm trying to edit, trys to load in the Internet Browser. This "Getting things ready..." and the Internet tab that's opened actually reloads/refreshes three times before the loading finishes.

PowerBIEmbbededPowerApp-GettingThingsReady.PNG

3.) After the "Getting things ready..." and the Internet tab that's opened reloads/refreshes three times, the below screenshot is what finally loads but there is nothing for me to edit. I don't see my Power App opened in edit mode for me to add new forms, buttons, etc.

PowerBIEmbbededPowerApp-PowerAppFinalScreenLoadedAfterAttemptToEdit.PNG

Any ideas why might this be?

Things to Consider

1) Following the above steps, I've been able to open and edit the Power App while in the office back in early March while connected directly to the company network. However, the Edit Mode of the Power App didn't load initially the first time but would load after 3, 4 or 5 attempts following the above steps. I would have to close the Internet Browser window, then back out and close my Power BI report and then repeat the above steps. I would have to do this 4 or 5 times until the Edit Mode of the Power App successfully loaded for me to add new forms, add buttons, etc. Since I'm working remote, perhaps this might be causing the odd behavior.

2) The version of the Power BI Desktop I'm using is......Version: 2.81.5831.821 64-bit (May 2020). I know there's a newer version to install but I wouldn't think this would make a difference but it's possible.

3) The division I'm working for was part of Company A before being sold to Company B. Now, Company B is going through the process of splitting/migrating systems and platforms away from Company A so everything is completely separated between the two companies. During this transition, the users of Company B have two Microsoft logins temporarily; one is GlobalID@CompanyA.com and the other one is GlobalID@CompanyB.com. (Is it possible that these two Microsoft account logins are creating confusion behind-the-scene and that's why the Edit Mode of the Power App doesn't load at all?)

Ultimately, what I'm trying to do is migrate the Power App that's embedded in the Power BI report from the @CompanyA.com Microsoft tenant/platform and move it over to the @CompanyB.com Microsoft tenant/platform. I know you can export the Power App into a zip file and upload it to the new Microsoft tenant/platform(@CompanyB.com) but because this Power App is embedded into the Power BI report with Power BI columns feeding into the Power App, this makes the task more challenging as this Power App isn't stand-alone. I'm thinking I will have to rebuild the Power App from scratch under the @CompanyB.com Microsoft tenant/platform instead of somehow migrating the existing Power App without rebuilding it.

I haven't done this sort of task before so this all new to me. Perhaps the fact that the Power App is embedded into Power BI with report columns feeding into the Power App makes the task impossible to easily migrate the Power App based on the underlying architecture of how these two tools integrate. In the end it might just be easier to rebuild the Power App from scratch.

4 REPLIES 4
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous,

the fact that your Power App is integrated in Power BI shouldn't be problem per se. You should be able to export the App and import it in the other tenant.
Are you sure you are in the correct environment in Power Apps?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Anonymous
Not applicable

There's only one environment in my tenant that I uploaded the PowerApps to. Even when I try to create a brand new Power App, through the embedded Power App visual, I get an error that the environment could not be found in the tenant.

The "Open Browser" window from Power BI contains the environment ID..."Default-74b72ba8-5684-402c-98da-e38799398d7d"

09-06-2020 - Open Browser.PNG

Then, when the Chrome browser window tab opens, the below error pop-ups saying the environment could not be found.

09-06-2020 - Env Not Found in Tenant.PNG

But when I log into Power Apps service online, I'm able to log in and the environment ID is listed in the URL itself. This environment ID is what can't be found in the tenant but it's present in the URL.

09-06-2020 - PowerApps Tenant URL.PNG

Not sure what is happening here.

@Anonymous,

could you confirm that the tenant ID in the error message is the one that you're logged into in make.PowerApps.com? Just to be sure 🙂
Otherwise try to open an incognito/in-private window and open the URL (from PBI Desktop) there and log in to the correct tenant?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nickyvv 

So i just tried "editing" the embedded Power App again and got the following error message but the tenant and environment IDs are switched around in comparison to the other error message I posted earlier about the "the environment could not be found in the tenant...."

(-Earlier screenshot-)

09-06-2020 - Env Not Found in Tenant.PNG

See how the "environment ID" switched with the "tenant ID" between these two screenshots. This seems a little odd.

(-New screenshot-)

09-17-2020 - Power App Service - Environment Not Found in Tenant - IDs Switched Around.PNG

I'll need some time to play around with the Incognito Mode some more to see if I have any luck with that.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors