Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Power Apps - Power BI Better together - Write Back From BI

Objective: To have Task Status Application along with analytics on it.

We wanted to develop a small and thin application to manger daily tasks by various teams. We want to have UI entry using the Mobile app and Even from BI Report. We are going to use Power App and Power BI for this

Power App: Power Apps is a suite of apps, services, connectors, and data platform that provides a rapid application development environment to build custom apps for your business needs.

Power BI: Power BI is a business analytics solution that lets you visualize your data and share insights across your organization or embed them in your app or website.

Prerequisite:

1. You need to have logins at power bi and power app. I have already registered my official email id for both power bi and power app
  2. Google Sheet having a table structure. We created a Task sheet in the root folder. With only one row for this development.

Team

Date

Total_task

Completed_task

Carry_Forward_Task

Unable_finish

Comment

Team_1

04/21/2020

Missed

Let us start the development…..

Power App: Login to https://in.create.powerapps.com/

Create a new connection

Power App has a connector Google sheets. We have created a connection of google Sheets and selected the Task Sheet.

We create the UI with a canvas app from a blank option. It created a working app.

PowerAppSelectSheet.pngPowerAppDeafultOption.png

Added logo. And tested it by creating a new record using the run option

AddedLogo.pngAdded Logo.png

Modified the create UI, wanted to show the only tasks. Done some cleanup.

ModifiedEditUI.pngModfiedLayoutShowTeam.png

Cleaned up Detailed UI.

ModifiedDetailed.png

App is ready.

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-23 at 5.08.10 PM(2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-04-23 at 5.08.10 PM(1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-04-23 at 5.08.10 PM.jpeg

Let us start the analytics part of it.

In the case of power bi, there is no direct(seeded) Google Sheet connector. So, we created a shared link with the option  “Share with anyone with having this link”.

We got a link like

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/<ID>/edit?usp=sharing

And modified it, like this to make it work

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/<ID>/export?format=xlsx&id=<ID>

Added the Google sheet using the web option. Selected the sheet having Tasks.

Screenshot 2020-04-23 13.10.54.pngScreenshot 2020-04-23 13.11.54.png

Create a couple of charts.

Screenshot 2020-04-23 13.13.04.pngScreenshot 2020-04-23 13.13.34.png

Power BI the Latest version has an option to add Power App. Added that. As I already logged in to Power BI, I got access to the Apps. There is a “Choose App” Option, Using that selected the app and opened it

Screenshot 2020-04-23 13.13.44.pngScreenshot 2020-04-23 13.14.21.png

Screenshot 2020-04-23 13.14.46.pngScreenshot 2020-04-23 13.14.58.png

Add a new record and refreshed the app and records are visible. As we are in port mode refresh is required. For Direct query mode, there is an option in the power app to get the power bi page refreshed.

Screenshot 2020-04-23 13.22.24.pngScreenshot 2020-04-23 19.51.19.png

Create an app in Powerapps is pretty easy. Power Apps provide a lot of options to customize the app. Integration with Power BI is pretty easy. It gives flexibility to the BI application to Write Back. Especially helpful when you want to revise target or budgets and write then back to applications.

If you use Onedrive  -

Power BI- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-use-onedrive-business-links

Power App - https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Connecting-To-Data/How-to-make-PowreApps-connect-to-the-correct-...

1 REPLY 1
peteru9067
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks for this training @amitchandak , so quick question lets say I have data being pulled into my power BI from SQL and I want to create a column at the end of this table for a manual check box where users can "check"...... how can this be accomplished with Power App........ currently I am just using a slicer and checking the tags I want to use for my display (but I know this is not the best practice).

So I guess what I am trying to say is I want to write back to the SQL database in Power BI 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors